Air Bags vs Extra Leaf Spring

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Walley Gordo, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

You know how wives are.
    Before you know it, you'll be spending 3 days loading up for a weekend jaunt.

Have fun, just be mindful.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  2. Waif

Waif

Having put one ton springs on a half ton before , and a near pogo sticking ride empty resulting... I'd be willing to try bags for temporary hauling.

But you seem to be all set.
    Congrats!

Walley Gordo likes this.

3. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

We been staying up there for 30 some years love fishing the inland waterway. The problem was we always take the boat, well tent camping for all those years wasn't a problem. Fast forward 2020 now have camper so keeping it up there on a site will allow to still bring the boat. I very fortunate to have a very simple wife that just rolls with it.
    Yea I sort of ruled out the extra leaf after hearing how they rode without a load. Still early on this new venture so if I do need a little extra I will go with the air bag system.

4. eyeball

eyeball

I have the Firestone bags on my 1/2 ton. It's been 4 years, I haven't had a problem. Bought them a Michigan truck spring in Saginaw. I've owned assist springs in the past. I like these better.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  5. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

Nice avatar pic.

eyeball likes this.
  6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I wouldn’t overthink it!

7. captainshotgun

captainshotgun

I have been pulling trailers for 50+ years. When my parents were in rv sales, I pulled new ones home from the factory 200 miles with a car, (66 Merc). Pulled a 22’ tt in Georgia over 95 mph in 1969 with the same car. Imho, if your hitch is adjusted right and you have the proper hitch sway control, any extra spring or bag is a waste, unless you are going to put a lot of weight in the truck bed. Your money would be better spent on a rear sway bar and/or after market shocks. Also when I bought tires I would buy lt tires that I could put at least 50 psi in. If your tow vehicle is level before you hook it up, and your trailer is loaded properly, and your hitch is adjusted right, why would you want extra “lift”. Do you have enough cooling for trans, ps, engine, in the temps you may encounter? If you want more advice, pls feel free to pm me.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  8. Hip-Wader

Hip-Wader

I have a F150 Super Crew Eco boost rated at 6600-lbs. with a 3500- lb. camper 1000-lbs. accessories in camper. Add 2 to 3 rolls of oak in back of truck @ 600 to 800 - lbs. I pull the camper every weekend with my truck average 3000 miles per year within the state of mi. Going to the campsite is a little noticeable coming home with out firewood water or waste water. Pulls great. No real need for added extras. Spend the extra money on fishing gear and beer, never have enough of that.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  9. shoprat51

shoprat51

Airbags for sure insist on firestone bags they last a very long time the onboard compressor is nice you can inflate or deflate on the fly I have installed many of these kits very nice and durable

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Walley Gordo likes this.
  10. CL-Lewiston

CL-Lewiston

Back in the 80s I had a couple of large size station wagons and a large Starcraft popup.. I put air bags on both of them but not the auto fill. I had to air up like a tire, they helped a great deal.

Walley Gordo likes this.