close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aging deer meat???

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jjlrrw, Jan 11, 2018.

1. wildthing

wildthing

There is a wealth of info on this if you do a Google search Rasputin. Pretty much all of it says what I said above - between 32 - 40 degrees and nothing above or below with the optimum being between 34-37 or 35-38 depending up which source you look at. Here are a couple of sources:

The Great Debate: Aging Venison | Realtree

CWC - How to Age Venison : Cabela's

2. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I usually age them for 3 weeks in the bed of my truck..Got to show them off some how since I can't have facebook

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I was wondering how long it took you. I kept seeing you doing victory laps around town.

4. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I have a walk in cooler and age all of my deer. I shoot for around 2 weeks. I’m surprised at home many people wait 3 weeks. Maybe I’ll try that next year.

I’ve eaten plenty of fresh kills but aging is better without a doubt. You don’t have to age it but you can for sure tell the difference.

I’ve had a few guys put hogs in my cooler and for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to work with them? Maybe it’s in my head.

5. DoJigger

DoJigger Michigan Sportsman

I've like many posted butcher my own deer , but have never let it hang for more than 3/5 days mostly due to weather conditions being to warm or freezing.
    Was thinking of building a small room insulating and putting in an air conditioner that I have just laying around. I know gutting out a refrigerator might be the best thing as far as regulating the temp but just wondering has anyone done this.

6. bald eagle

bald eagle

I shot a Elk several years ago and a friend of mine who is a butcher hung it for 3-weeks in his walk In cooler at 38 degrees and he said the humidity was as important as the temperature. I can't recall what the humidity was set at and I haven't seen anybody mention that yet, do you guys set the humidity at a certain percent. He would check it by shaving a piece of meat with a knife and he told me that the outside should look like leather. I have never hung a deer for 2 or 3 weeks but this thread sounds like I would like to try it.

7. sniper

sniper

Shot and hung deer for up to one day all the way up to 10 days in all temperatures for 38 years now...Bucks, rutting bucks, does, fawns, injured, crazy deer, it just hasn't mattered.. I can honestly say I can't recall one bad piece of venison meat...I'm am not trading a southern slp whitetail deer with any other..period....

8. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

That's what I do too. Skin and quarter usually a day or a couple after I hang it. Then the quarters go into the fridge in the garage for at least a week. Usually a bit more. I haven't noticed a huge different in taste it's just generally the way I do it and it's always worked for me. I enjoy the day of the kill meals just as much.

bigal06 and wildthing like this.
  9. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

My buck this year I aged 2 full weeks. The taste is much better. The spots went away and gained 2 points on the rack. Lol It in fact does seem to cook up better with minimal blood on top when grilled.

Justin likes this.
  10. smith34

smith34

Moisture (or humidity) can be a big factor too, it helps to promote mold growth, which is why washing out a deer can be a bad thing too in the grander picture of things, good thing to point out there.

mbrewer and bald eagle like this.
  11. Rockokloco

Rockokloco

I have always aged my deer between 1 and 4 weeks in the cooler. I have also done the taste test and can definetely tell the difference. I aged one older buck for 6 weeks. Had some mold to cut off, but it ate great and could be cut with a butter knife. I generally keep temp around 35. I also do not wash out my deer unless it is a gut shot or intestine break. If I do have to wash it I take it to a friends house where he has city water, which is chlorinated. I read someplace that well water has much bacteria in it and ageing after washing with well water promotes bacteria growth and mold. In '13 I drew an Any Elk tag and shot a 10 and 1/2 yr old bull. (in avatar) Cut out one tenderloin to cook. It was tough as hell. I aged that bull for 8 weeks. Everyone who ate it could not believe how tasty and tender it was.

bald eagle and Swampdog467 like this.
  12. kappa8

kappa8

Been aging my venison for two decades without benefit of enclosure. They all hang in mother nature's cooler. As long as temps don't exceed 45 F, I will let them hang up to 3 weeks. Temp fluctuations down to 20 F have had not discernible affect.

Comments about mold are spot on! I've brought meat from Europe (cold smoked bulk salami style) contained in cheesecloth-type sack. We'd let it age until there was 3-5mm of mold (up to 2 years). Scrape off mold, remove sack, and the meat would simply melt in your mouth!

Folks, don't be afraid of mold - it's superficial to the outside. Once you cut away to top dried layer, you get that melt-in-your-mouth aged venison which *should not be overcooked*. In twenty years haven't had a single complaint about "gamey" flavor.

Swampdog467 likes this.
  13. AntiHuntersLoveMe

AntiHuntersLoveMe

Ok I'm sold!!! The next one I kill is hanging until it's moldy... The guys I know say the same thing, "it'll be so tender you can cut it with a fork".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. Blaine man

Blaine man

I could not hang the buck I got this year were I usually do. This was in a cement/ rock garage. I hang it until the first thaw when the blood starts dripping again for 2 days. It could be 3 weeks to 3 months. During the first time (20 years ago) when the DNR issued liberal doe permits 7 of us hung our deer and had to process them all at once before the March 1st deadline. As long as only the first 1/4" was soft we knew we were safe. Always kept the hide on.

Swampdog467 likes this.
  15. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Now that sounds like something to try. Did you ever have problems with it turning color or did it stay red throughout? Just curious, I know in the walk in with the deer skinned it starts to turn color in a few weeks.