Advice/Opinions on a Tractor

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Wurm Slinger, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Wurm Slinger

Wurm Slinger

Wondering if anyone out there has experience with Branson Tractors in the 35-37HP range?
    Pro's/Con's?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. bowjack

bowjack

Mine is a 2013 40HP. A little over 200 hours and so far I'm happy with it.

3. hunterrep

hunterrep

Aren't these the tractors Cabelas was labeling and selling? If so, a friend has one and loves it.
    I have a Kubota but regardless of the brand, my advice is get a front end loader, HST, and 4WD. I would never consider one without these 3 things. You will be amazed how handy that bucket is.

4. bowjack

bowjack

Cabelas tractors were TYMs.

sniper likes this.
  5. smith34

smith34

Good advise here. I could (and do) deal without the hydrostat, as long as it’s a shuttle shift, but whatever size you think you need, go one size bigger and you should be happy. Proximity to a dealer for you should be a consideration, it’s not if you need parts, but when and how quickly.

bigal06 and Wild Thing like this.
  6. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

I have found that you can get a larger Ag tractor, that you may have to shift, with a bucket and other amenities for the money you have to spend extra for hydro stat. Had my JD 5210 for almost 20 years and ZERO problems.

Scout 2, bigal06 and Wild Thing like this.
  7. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

X2 - Same with my JD-5400. Mine is 20 years old but I've only owned it for 10. 3,900 hours and she keeps right on ticking...

8. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

I know I have said this same thing before on here somewhere, but the JD 5000 series is one of the best overall food plot tractors for the habitat guru!!!

9. nothbound

nothbound

The whole utility tractor thing has never made sense to me. Tractors are to slow for efficient use of a FEL... 4x4 wouldn't be needed with a decent rear tire. I've owned a couple utility tractors just because I found deals I knew I could turn and burn on to make a little cash.

For food plot work my favorite is a old ford work master jubilee. I've got a lx885 60h.p skid steer for bucket work. A case 530 back hoe for the occasional digging. I've got less than 15k in those 3 tools and can do everything faster than a more expensive utility tractor.

So why spend more money on a a jack of all trades-master of none? Spend less and get a master of each?

10. sniper

sniper

I love this Cabelas LM35...
    Cabelas are a hybrid of tym..

For the record I'll never by another tractor without a FEL or 4 wheel drive...Those two features are worth their weight in gold on my farm....Used both more times that I can count in the last 3 yrs.

Attached Files:

11. cakebaker

cakebaker

I still think Kubota is the best all around but the other tractors will be just fine.

12. christibish

christibish

I bought a Branson a few year ago at Hodges Farm Equipment in Fenton. Looked at Kubota and JD, but had a hard time dropping the money (never realized how much we actually spent on habitat work!) Picked up the 5220 (55hp) with a cab, tiller and bucket. Have used it to push snow, brush hog, plant my food plots, etc. Nice little tractor, no complaints to far. Busted the antenna off in a thicker area and they were able to get me a replacement within a week. It is a shuttle shift which has it's pros and cons depending on who you ask.

13. DoJigger

DoJigger Michigan Sportsman

Would surely consider a look at the Mahindra's only because of the 7 yr warranty if you purchase new.

Partial to the kubota's only because I own one. Would never consider buying one with out 4 wheel drive, just seems to double it's power and pretty much go through anything, also has to have a front bucket, can use just for about everything, and hydro stat a must for me, surely makes maneuvering a whole lot faster and easier.. seems to hold their value as long as taken care of.

14. Wurm Slinger

Wurm Slinger

Having never owned a tractor or really used one for much, what will 37-40 horse do? I would not buy a tractor without a front bucket and honestly, a rear hoe is high on the wish list. What size plow or disc can a person get away with if they have 37-40 horse?

15. DoJigger

DoJigger Michigan Sportsman

IMAG0181.jpg I have a 26 hp Kubota and does most everything for me, easy to maneuver through the woods. Like what everybody say's go a little bigger never be dis satisfied.
    Would think with the h.p. your asking would pull a two bottom plow with ease, I run a 5' county line tiller with no issue's.