Advice on centerpin reel and rod/length

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Drew0527, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Drew0527

Drew0527

I would like to start learning how to centerpin for salmon and steelhead. Any suggestions on a specific reel to look at under $200? And a rod to buy under 200$? I plan on fishing different sized rivers such as the PM, big manistee, and little manistee. Unsure what length to go with and if it will be necessary to have different length rods for different sized rivers. Thanks! -Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

2. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

I think a 12 to 13 lb is easiest to handle unless you are in a very small river.
    At $200 I think your best choices are a Lami Centerspin rod, and a Helix XL reel, or if you can spend a little more on the reel, a Matrix XL.

GrandGuru and eggfly like this.

3. Drew0527

Drew0527

Thanks for the advice, that is helpful! I don’t mind spending more if it is worth it to spend more

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I second the recommendation for your budget and just starting out. Lami centerspin and matrix xl.... upgrade the bearings down the road if you wish and it’ll run even better.... 12-13 foot is my ideal Michigan rod. Can be a little tight at first in smaller rivers but works once you get used to manipulating a long rod. It’s good to have that extra length for mending/managing line on large rivers. The plus with the recommended combo, if you really get into this and get into higher end gear, that’s a combo that you won’t mind hanging on to for a backup.

GrandGuru likes this.
  5. Drew0527

Drew0527

Cool, thanks for the info!

6. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

Sent you a PM Drew

7. GrandGuru

GrandGuru

Lamiglas Centerspin and Raven Matrix XL reel

8. Drew0527

Drew0527

With the matrix XL, are there any negatives to going with a fully ported vs a solid back plate? I like the idea of a lighter reel but have seen comments on pages that say to go with a solid backplate and unsure what the reasoning is -Drew

9. boppa

boppa

10. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Both will work great if you keep them out of the water/dirt, some users have a tendency to lay the reel down on the backplate in areas where they can/will pick up dust and dirt. The solid backplate will help in stopping this. Other than that if you buy what you like and take care of it the Matrix XL will last for years with a little care.

eggfly likes this.
  11. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Main reason I advise against it is just another dirt potential as mentioned... but I saw the aftermath of a poor kid who’s finger somehow ended up in the reel from that side with a pissed off king on the end of the line.... not something I’d want to experience. I like a heavier reel - Balance’s out tip weight better, shifts the balance point of the rod back a bit.

12. Drew0527

Drew0527

Thanks!

13. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

I have the matrix xl special edition which has the backplate.