Advanced osteoarthritis in knee

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Sasquatch Lives, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

Be very careful with long term Aleve/Naprosyn. Can lead to severe GI issues including ulcers, bleeding disorders etc. Definitely not a drug someone should be taking chronically. You'll address your knee pain only to die from a bleeding ulcer.

2. bobcolenso

bobcolenso Premium Member

I generally don't like to take pain medications, especially for something like arthritis. If it causes me PAIN to do something that's telling me that I'm damaging my joint, and I want to know to NOT do that!

Bedtime is a different story. You need a good night's sleep so I will take pain meds then so I can sleep through the night.

Or maybe I should just go ahead and try the SPANKY method.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020

3. pgpn123

pgpn123

After orthopedic doc said to get primary to prescribe for long term, primary wasn't keen on it. Told me about some side effects and had me try Tylenol first, which didn't help. Think it's time to revisit.

4. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

The advice I got was low doses with a medicine like omeprazole daily. Long term naproxen use is pretty common and the side effects can be troublesome.

5. pgpn123

pgpn123

Stopped on way home and picked up script of Meloxicam from primary doc. Think I'm done with Naproxen. Have appt next week with Orthopedic doc. Perhaps an injection and see what he might recommend for anti inflammatory, if any.

6. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

How would this med be better than Naproxen?

7. Eric Bee

Eric Bee

Had both knees replaced a few years ago and it was well worth it. A little loss of range of motion sure outweighed the constant pain. Now I need to have both hips done due to the constant pain. I'm becoming the bionic man

8. fanrwing

fanrwing

Eric,

You think maybe your hips went bad because you weren't walking right due to knee pain?

Crestliner 16 likes this.
  9. pgpn123

pgpn123

I told him naproxen works good, but I'm worried about the side effects. I dont know about Meloxicam, taking his professional opinion.
    And will see what orthopedic doc says next week.

Nostromo likes this.
  10. Eric Bee

Eric Bee

No. Doctor said that is due to arthritis which in turn is causing pain in my lower back

Crestliner 16 likes this.
  11. birdhntr

birdhntr

I have arthritis also.Reading this I feel lucky.I have been installing flooring working on my knees sometimes up to 80 hour work weeks.I have been at it since 88.I do not were knee pads anymore.I have learned that they cause the knee to generate heat which becomes inflammation.I feel new again not wearing them and heat actually escapes to the cooler concrete.I have had problems before and stretching along with physical therapy rehab stuff have helped me tremendously.I have to stick to it or it comes back to the knees,back,neck and shoulder.If it comes down to it I will get replacements in a heartbeat.I have seen the miracles for many others.
    Worked four ten hour shifts and the bird hunt hard thee days every weekend.Talk about abuse.
    In this picture is my job currently.I have to heat weld seems and get under the sink and in that pocket between the toilet and the cabinet to boot.
    If I don't stretch the back is toast! 20200924_111434.jpg

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

My surgeon took me off of Sulindac, twice a day, and put me on Meloxicam once per day. Seems to be doing a little better.

13. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Well three days in after the steroid shot and my knee feels amazing. Hasn't felt this good in 20 years.

Nostromo likes this.
  14. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Good news. I go in tomorrow.

Sasquatch Lives likes this.
  15. Captain

Captain Team Yukon

Grindstone City(Fish),Oil City(Hunt),Macomb Twp.
    14th is my Day

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Sasquatch Lives and Nostromo like this.