Adding SI transducer to TM..

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by natureboy2534, Mar 16, 2020.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

I have a minn kota ulterra with us2 transducer (2016) model. Was looking at getting a newer helix 8 or 9 up front with the SI transducer. I have a helix 10 SI/DI on dash and the transducer for that one is huge. Can I mount a SI transducer on the TM with out interfering with the SI images? I know the one on the back is huge and not sure if it can be done and done properly. I know I will have to run the new wires up the shaft and not sure how that will work with the self deploy of the ulterra. So if any of you guys out there have done this can you give me some input and maybe a picture for reference. Don't want to buy a new TM for the SI if I dont have to. Im not networking on my boat either, not really familiar with all that stuff either, but if thats the best way to go than ill look into it also..Thanks in advance. .

2. piketroller

piketroller

Use something like the “da ducer” apparatus to mount the transducer separately.

3. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

I think im on to something now.
    Been researching all morning and found a video that has you taking off the head of motor and running the cable up the shaft. Think its called the walleye work shop. And there's a bracket that you can buy to mount it close to the head of TM to keep it from hanging down too far off the motor head. Was trying to delete this thread but there's no options to do that now...Thanks for your information. ..

4. I just installed a Garmin transducer and used this method that I found on You-Tube. I took the front screw out of the tm cover on my Terrova added a 6" ss eyebolt with jam nut, put a carabiner on it another on the tm and installed a 6' bike lock cable to the carabiners, stretched it out and attached transducer cable to it with zip ties. According to the guy who posted the video this allows enough cable so SpotLock can work without breaking the cable. Now I haven't used it yet, but I did lower the tm and it appears to have plenty of room to rotate without causing an issue. When you pull the tm up it coils back up and out of the way. Assuming it works well when I finally get the boat wet my plan is to buy another Helix with SI and install it. My current Helix tranducer that is on the transom is about half the size of the Garmin so it should be an even cleaner install. 20200306_100201.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T817V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

natureboy2534 likes this.
  5. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

That's the same video I seen, Thats they way im going to go with mine. Pretty good idea...