Add on license to run 3 additional lines from a boat

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by tgafish, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Thanks! Sending you a pm

2. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Tom,
    I heard you catch enough fish for my limit when I'm home too.
    o_O

I rarely run 3 rods, occasionally just two and for this time of year I'm happy with just one in hand - though I have a certain piece of terminal tackle I've been wanting to try.

IMO there's already enough differential rules per body of water, specific species types, sizes and locations to keep track of and the regulations lack congruency almost as bad as the trout regs - which are all over the map now.

In an overly complicated world, when I can fish I'd like to seek out simplicity, not making it more difficult for the regular guy and officers to decipher.

What we have now works, I'm not all about a limit every time and we're far better off now than just using clubs and loin cloth...
    ;)

gundogguy, sureshot006 and Scout 2 like this.

3. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

How many graphs are you running?:evilsmile

jumbojake and sureshot006 like this.
  4. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

To bad "They" are still not required to keep using canoes & spears.....disagree on ANY added prices to us Sporstmen for ANY more licenses to enjoy the outdoors.

5. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have 3, but only one that's been mounted.
    Boat trailer is on jack stands Dave.
    Need to work on engine, replace bunks and two of them need to be finished up mounting.
    I do have an ice machine really though LOL

TK81 and jiggin is livin like this.
  6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I dont necasarily have a problem with how many lines are used trolling. I would be against allowing shore fisherman to use 6 rods. Personally I dont like the 3 rod limit for shore fisherman in certain situations. I think it hinders abilities for some newcombers to the sport when the hard core guys take up every spot on a pier or boardwalk for 12 hrs a day.....6 rods would be alot worse.

Making different rules for trollers and shore fisherman I think would cause animosity between fisherman so for that reason I think I would probably be against this.

sledman and Gordon Casey like this.
  7. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

The only benefit I see to having more than 3 rods is trolling, or maybe tip-ups for ice fishing.

Why not just say you can't have more than 3 lines per person, except if trolling? Maybe have a max number of lines in the water. Some people do get stupid, but I don't really care.

I don't care if one guy wants to run 8 rods. Not my ticket. I personally don't like having that much to deal with by myself.

8. Slimshady

Slimshady

I completely believe in creel limits to protect the resource. No issues there at all. In most years, sport fisherman fall below our allotted quotas for harvest anyway, so I don't think that's an issue. You say you wouldn't trust most anglers to run 6 rods, and that might be true, but that's their problem, not yours. Let me decide how many I can manage and how I get to my limit (if I even get there). For example, at Wheatley with 2 of us fishing, it would be nice to be able to run a couple boards out targeting walleyes up high. Then run our 2 riggers along with 2 dipseys on each side (one up higher, but further to the side, and one deeper). That would be a total of 8 rods. When it's slow, that would allow us to run a bunch of different colors, depths, etc, to figure out what might work and get "dialed-in". There have been other times when we couldn't keep 4 rods in the water with all of the action. Again, it is not about getting to a limit faster, it is about being able to cover the water column and run different things to figure them out.

Whenever we even get close to a limit we run fewer rods and swap out all of our spoons to single hooks so we can release any "extras" next to the boat unharmed. (In case we only need one fish for our limit, but then get 3 on at once). If they are going to limit the number at all, I think it should be 2 from shore and 4 per-person from a boat, IMO. I would be fine with that.

9. asb8mcc

asb8mcc

I understand where you are coming from, but still disagree. It becomes other people's problem when people attempt to run too many rods and proceed to become distracted (trying to man all those rods or lines become tangled) and run aground, impede (or hit) another boat, etc. I would say this is similar to distracted driving. Are there people out there that can handle operating a phone while driving? Certainly. Does that mean it should be allowed? No. Same with speed limits. I would expect that many anglers can handle operating more than 3 rods, but that doesn't mean it should be allowed. I would say it is actually important to keep the rods allowed lower (not that 3 is all that low) as it encourages people to invite friends, kids, wives/girlfriends, etc. out fishing.

And I agree that most of the time anglers come below the quota limit for systems. However, there are very few places in Michigan where quotas are developed for anglers (for example, not a single inland system). For certain species in certain areas of the Great Lakes waters, yes there are quotas.

10. Slimshady

Slimshady

I pretty much only fish the Great Lakes system, so that is my perspective. I agree that current rod limits make sense for inland lakes. I am thinking more about giant bodies of water where I may not have anyone within a few miles of me. If I was fishing in tight conditions, I would never attempt to run many lines either. Conditions also play a role. I would never run a bunch of rods when there are floating weeds, etc. But there are certain times when I could easily run more to experiment and would if I could.

bellkey, Shlack and asb8mcc like this.
  11. Pinusrubra

Pinusrubra

This year I fished solo after my son moved out for work in May. I would have gladly paid to run an additional 3 rods when fishing Lake Huron (DeTour) or Lake Michigan (Ludington). I caught 2-4 fish most trips, never a limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. loomis82

loomis82

With how many walleye are out there you shouldnt need more than 3 rods per person. I could see the argument for salmon fisherman with the dismal salmon fisheries here in Michigan. I also believe you should be able to limit with any size fish. Ex. Trolling erie. How many eyes die each year from being drug around for a hour or so unkown. We are all guilty of that. Then you throw that 14.5 incher over to see float right back up

Gordon Casey likes this.
  13. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

Hey Loomis, bring you and your boat to Saginaw Bay right now. Bring those 3 rods and try to catch a limit, I mean all those walleye should be ready to catch right now

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Gone_Hunting and Bay BornNRaised like this.
  14. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

Bring those extra rods on

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

15. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

I say screw off to adding any new laws, fees, licences, reducing any limits on us Sportsmen & Sportswomen. If the laws, reduced limits, quotas set and ENFORCED, HUGE increase in fee's & licenses for the commercial scammers (netters) don't happen then why in Hell should we follow the masses of followers..... Down right disgusted with how some can and most can't....I pay to play and one's that don't pay and play piss me off

perchjerker likes this.