Add on license to run 3 additional lines from a boat

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by tgafish, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. Shane W

Shane W

Wait...what? In MI you are limited on how many piles you can be using? That is crazy. We just moved up from TX and I’ve never heard of such a weird thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete R likes this.
  2. scubajay

scubajay

IMO limiting the number of fishing rods is silly and unnecessary. Creel limits are in place, which make total sense and protect the resource, but the quantity of equipment I use to catch them should not matter (I understand that the type of equipment should be controlled for fair chase, e.g. not using dynamite) and should be my choice.

If I'm skilled enough to run 10 rods out the back of my boat, why shouldn't I?

For me it breaks down to the protection of the resource. Creel limits have proven empirically that they do just that. Maybe someone can explain to me how defining the the number of fishing rods I can use protects the resource, because I don't believe that it does.

3. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

No, because the way the DNR works is is they'll change it and it'll go for a few years and then they will raise everyone's lic to $52 across the board and then try and justify it.
    They did the same thing with the trout stamp the lic doubled and nobody could do anything about it but be forced to pay it.

4. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

I can't imagine trying to shore fish with a 6 rod rule.

Now, if they allowed 6 per person trolling, it could be done under the same 26 dollar license we have now. It's just a rule change.

droptine88 and Shlack like this.
  5. tgafish

tgafish Premium Member

Not necessarily a shorter time. Some days are more challenging than others. Some days an extra 3 lines gives you an opportunity to cover a different presentation or a different depth. I definitely do not limit every time I go out. I doubt I would with 3 extra lines either. But it could change a poor catch rate day into a good catch rate day. To follow this logic I would assume you only troll with 2 or 1 line in order to increase your time on the water?

6. perchjerker

perchjerker

why pay more? Just make is 6 rods per license if you are going to do that

7. tgafish

tgafish Premium Member

I actually have considered the increased enforcement argument but my response is this. If I CO needs to check every time they see someone running more than 3 lines because they may not have the correct license then why do they not check everyone running lines assuming they do not have a license at all? Does a CO check to see if a child is over 17 and has a license every time they see a child fishing with an adult and running 6 lines? I would guess they would treat it as any other violation. Assume the person is properly licensed until proven otherwise.

8. tgafish

tgafish Premium Member

Because it has to go through the legislature and in politics money talks. Also the proposed license is only legal when fishing from a boat to alleviate the concern of congestion at popular shore fishing locations. This was a very active objection when the rod number was changed from 2 to 3. In the grand scheme of boat ownership the assumption is $26 does not seem like it would be a limiting amount of money.

9. Slimshady

Slimshady

This has always been my thought as well. Limit how many I can keep, sure. No problems with that. Other than that, leave me alone and let me fish as many rods as I want.

I have asked both the DNR and MNR about this and the answer that I have been given as to why the limits even exist has to do with shore-fishing. They don't want a couple guys to be able to show up early and hog the whole fishing pier. I said, then why not just make that a rule when fishing on shore and their response was "well that would give an advantage to the boat fisherman, which wouldn't be fair", to which I replied "it already isn't fair. You can go anywhere in the boat, vs being limited to that spot on shore. Life isn't fair, for that matter." But that's the reasoning behind it.

It is not about getting to a limit faster. It is about testing lures, techniques, trying to see what might work. Also, if you are running spoons or cranks behind boards, it is hard to even tell if you have a junk fish on one of them unless you are running 3 in a row. If I am by myself, I can only run 2 in CAN, 3 in the US.

I would like to be able to put 3 boards out on one side, then run at least one or 2 "boat rods" on top of that. Once I figure out what is working, I would back it down to a 2 or 3 at the most. There are other times I might want to put a couple larger lures out for Muskies while I am trolling for walleyes on LSC. It is really about options, not about getting to my limit faster. I rarely keep a limit as it is.

10. piketroller

piketroller

Limit planer boards to a boundary within 50 feet to either side of the boat and I don’t care how many lines anyone runs. But if you get 5 guys on board trying to run 30 rods on planers, they might also need to buy some Wisconsin licenses for the boards that stray over the line when the boat is fishing near Frankfort.

fisheater and Shoeman like this.
  11. asb8mcc

asb8mcc

If you believe that the creel limits make sense and protect the resource then limiting the number of rods should make sense as well. Increasing the number of rods will increase the number of limits taken and total fish harvested. Would creel limits have to be reduced to offset this?

I personally have no need for more than three rods while fishing alone from a boat (and wouldn't trust the majority of anglers to be able to manage 6 rods and operate a boat). The only instance where I would like to use more than three lines is while ice fishing and running tip-ups and jigging at the same time.

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  12. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I have a hard enough time managing 3 rods when fishing solo.

13. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

So, if I like paid $27 can I start setting up trot lines?

How much if I wanted to just use a commercial grade trap or gill net?

14. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

I'm curious also... And to think no quotas or limits on eyes & perch, bonus other game fish and Nobody will know... Shhh....

jiggin is livin likes this.
  15. piketroller

piketroller

Welcome back Brian. Are you getting ready for the burbot to start showing up?

Bay BornNRaised likes this.