Access to Seasonal Roads in the U.P. During Late Season

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Nice Shot 1982, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I decided to rent a tracked skid steer with grapple next spring to finish the clean up of the last mile of trails. There are going to be a lot of surprises for those who have not visited their properties since last fall assuming things are normal. A couple of bright notes this storm plus forest tent caterpillars opened up the canopy and there are less widow makers I have to deal with every camp visit. Good luck Pat.

2. Biggbear

Biggbear

I just received an IM from someone who would know far better than me regarding snowmobile trails and seasonal roads, it appears that I was wrong. Apparently seasonal roads are roads first and foremost, and snowmobile trails as a secondary consideration. The signs I've seen indicating that a seasonal road is a snowmobile trail from Dec 1st to March something or other, was likely put up by the local snowmobile club, not the county or state. Even though these signs imply the road is "closed" it's not. I never knew that. Once the snow starts to pile up and the trail is groomed, I have no idea how you would drive a vehicle down it, so I guess I assumed those signs to be accurate, that snowmobile was the only allowable mode of transportation, other than dogsled maybe. At any rate I wanted to correct my previous post.

3. Biggbear

Biggbear

Good night what a mess. We suffered some wind damage from a storm in early summer, but you'll never hear me complain again about my clean up job after looking at that. Let me know if you need some help. Have chainsaw, will travel.

Forest Meister likes this.
  4. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Depending upon where you buy and what the situation is, you will likely have a few dozen neighbors with plows on their trucks that you can call to help you out when you head north. Good luck finding your little piece of the rock.

5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Dam, that ain't good.

6. Nice Shot 1982

Nice Shot 1982

Appreciate the feedback, WT!

Wild Thing likes this.
  7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Some years you can’t make camp for firearms season without heavy equipment. Other years there is no snow. You never know.

850C9A64-B78B-4910-9185-7A02EF8AB0C7.jpeg

8. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Whenever possible I don't blow the driveway until after the plow comes.

9. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

I still remember that season. It was the first time in five years I'd taken the entire firearm season off work. Three days before the opener 36" came down. At least it was before, and not after. I could drive to about 3/4 mile from camp and snowshoe in. The deer were still moving, but only on particular routes they tramped down. It was the only years I never saw a deer, let alone a buck. The snow was so heavy on conifer branches that line of sight was down to bayonet range.

pgpn123, jiggin is livin, 3X8 and 4 others like this.
  10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Cell coverage is iffy at best in the many areas the OP mentioned. I would love to be able to make a call from camp and I’m only 6 miles from town.

Nice Shot 1982 likes this.
  11. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Good point. I feel fortunate to have 2 bars on my phone with ATT here. The guys that have Verizon can usually Text but voice calls are really iffy.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  12. Big CC

Big CC

This thread doesn’t make the U.P. sound like the heaven that I saw this summer while camping.
    30-45 days of summer......8-9 months of snow....is the OP re-thinking his plans?
    I’m not sure that I would like that much snow, but I’d sure be willing to try living there for a few years if the opportunity arose.

13. Nice Shot 1982

Nice Shot 1982

My vision is to eventually build a log cabin by hand on whatever piece of land I acquire. I keep looking at properties in NLP, but it just doesn’t have the appeal to me that the UP does.

I currently live on 10 acres in Washtenaw Co., which is nice and convenient to have a chance at some nice deer, but this is simply biding my time until the real living occurs a little later in life (my master plan when kids grow up, etc.).

I think that crossing that bridge into the U.P. Feels like a different world. Civilization is left behind. That’s what I’m trying to achieve. I’m always down for a good challenge/struggle and it sounds like some of these areas are exactly that. I’ll bet very fulfilling as well. Plus, I’ve been watching some great Dick Proenneke videos and reading his journals. What a woodsman he was. If that’s not motivating, I don’t know what is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Chessieman

Chessieman

Have you ever checked out the Banana belt? No snow worries there but COLD!

Nice Shot 1982 likes this.
  15. Nice Shot 1982

Nice Shot 1982

Very interesting! Wasn’t aware until looking it up. Looks nice.

I’d love it, but still need to be able to commute back home. Can’t be completely isolated that far away...I would probably be a unmarried man if I were to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk