close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Absentee Mallards

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Retiredducker, Dec 3, 2017.

1. carsonr2

carsonr2

Post 33, dated Oct. 7th, 2013
    Post 44, dated Oct. 7th, 2013
    So, I guess visual reports from friends and other hunters can determine bird densities and locations when you're outside MI, but if you're in the mitten then the only reliable source is refuge counts. Ok, I got it now.

Hypocrite much JD

2. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Boy with the bickering that goes on around here you’d think it was a bunch of high school girls. Ducks aren’t around in good numbers, season is almost done. We can all agree on that lol.

3. just ducky

just ducky

If you have a better method for the Dakota's than visual observations, I'm all ears. This tennis match is over for me...YAWN

4. craigrh13

craigrh13

Apparently this is where the birds are.

“Meanwhile, Arkansas hunters elsewhere who don't have enough water await a good drenching, while those that do are waiting on a big movement of ducks. Apparently, a large migration settled into an area in the southern tip of Illinois and in the area directly across the Mississippi River into Missouri in mid- to late November, in Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge. Two RIvers is considered by waterfowl biologists to be an important stopover for hundreds of thousands of ducks and geese each fall. As of two weeks ago, more than 350,000 birds were using refuge habitat, according to an aerial survey. “

5. Kingcrapp

Kingcrapp

I was waiting for this thread. Some great info. Warm temps don't help either. We are also not putting the time in as we used too. In Mich I believe you have to work hard to shoot ducks consistently. Also the fields are getting chisel plowed more so than ever. Good luck. I hope the late season is good.

6. Retiredducker

Retiredducker

Guys come on, no intention of starting a firestorm. We all have our feelings of why we do or don’t have birds. Everyone is most likely partly right and partly wrong. Now just go hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. duckbuster0123

duckbuster0123

I was out on the bay when they bugged out. It was an awesome site. We got a 3 man limit on mallards 11 drakes and a hen with 2 blacks with 2 gaddys. This all happened after 9am. The ducks came out of the refuge in waves and waves. They flew southeast and never came back. We hunted the next two days and killed only 5 ducks on those days. The refuge was bare after that migration took place.

8. just ducky

just ducky

approximate date? I'm really just curious

9. just ducky

just ducky

Sorry I helped drag the thread down. My apologies

10. just ducky

just ducky

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but regarding chisel plowing, I was very surprised to see how things have changed in the fields along the west side of the bay...Standish down to Bay City. Fields used to be left for a while, and often until spring, which provided lots of waste grain/food for the critters. Nowadays the farmers now seem to immediately after harvest jump right on them and either chisel plow them, or plow them completely under. It seems the practice of no-til has gone by the wayside. I did a lot of scouting around our camp the third week of November, and I could count on one hand the number of corn fields that had not been plowed in some fashion. I'm not a farmer, but I've heard several theories on why this has changed. So to the farmers out there, is this due mainly to the soil types up in that area there? Or is it that leaving them as is creates problems when you go to begin work in the spring? Or is it because federal funding has dried up for CRP and other programs? Or a combination of it all?

11. duckaddict

duckaddict

What are we supposed to do when we’re hunting and there are no birds besides argue on MS?

rcleofly and Retiredducker like this.
  12. adam bomb

adam bomb

Hell Dan half the time they have the plow in the field before the combine is even finished. It's pretty depressing....no farmer here so no insight on why other than getting a head start on spring and having the stubble well on its way to decomposition

babs2699 likes this.
  13. craigrh13

craigrh13

I’ve noticed farmers in the thumb area have their crap together. They turn their fields ASAP. It’s pretty rare down my way.

With this freeze we should start to see more birds. The freezing of the thousands of water holes around here consolidates the birds and pushes them into the corn fields. I suspect the next couple days I’ll finally start to locate some birds.

babs2699 likes this.
  14. just ducky

just ducky

It just seems a LOT sooner on the west side of the bay vs the east side. Was in the Sebewaing area a week or so back, and I'd guess 50% were already at least chisel plowed, whereas on the west side I'd guess 95% or more. Wondered if it's got to do with the soil being different? But I also wonder what ever happened to "no-til" which was all the rage about 20-25 years ago.

15. just ducky

just ducky

definitely should concentrate those that are still here.