close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Absentee Mallards

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Retiredducker, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Retiredducker

Retiredducker

I have never seen such a lack of Mallards in South Central Michigan for this time of year ( actually the last month ) as this year . Thank goodness for divers. Looks like they are still Mid Michigan and North...

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

goose schatt likes this.
  2. adam bomb

adam bomb

Buddy in NW lower said it's been the worst season in awhile. He's cancelled twice on me due to freeze up. Even the big water in his area isn't holding the birds like normal. A big lack of geese too. He was pretty depressed with the way the season went out. I think that big storm we had on November 9th pushed a lot of birds through. We had a really good week and a half after that and it's slowed since. I think there's been a good mix of cold that's caused a freeze a few times. I think the birds have been trickling through with every freeze. Most everyone I know is shooting divers around us with the exception of some with good private land for mallards. Hunting remains steady but the guys I know but have said the numbers have dropped off. On the big water I'm not seeing the diversity. Pretty much shooting typical late season species.

Retiredducker likes this.

3. craigrh13

craigrh13

I’ve yet to see the normal push we see. All of the local “refuges” are devoid of any type of ducks. Even geese that are normally stacked like cordwood here are nowhere to be found. It’s definitely very odd. My friends down south are doing very good right now though down in MS and AR.

Retiredducker likes this.
  4. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

I found a feed with 300 mallards and as many if not more geese on it last night. Unfortunately, there's no way I can get on it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

3dognight and Retiredducker like this.
  5. walter sniper

walter sniper

My buddies in Kentucky banging
    Also guysbin Corpus Christi I talk to saidbita loaded with redheads and bluebills
    Sounds like a lot of birds south already.
    Did some recon today and just the normal buffies, few mallards, few redheads at day break.
    Most shorting I am hearing is way off shore on big waters

6. Retiredducker

Retiredducker

I have access to good private land as well.... Ducks just not there....could be interesting from Wednesday on with the freeze coming ....

Texas Dec 14-17!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

babs2699 likes this.
  7. Mitch B

Mitch B

It's not much better in central Indiana either! There are birds here and there but not like usual. I'm ready for next weeks freezing temperatures!

babs2699 likes this.
  8. adam bomb

adam bomb

I think when FP dropped from 23000 puddlers to 9305 a couple weeks ago that was a pretty good sign of them bugging out. Thoughts?

9. craigrh13

craigrh13

I don’t know where they went but they didn’t come my way. The biggest migration I’ve ever seen was a few years ago during the later split. Hundreds of flocks coming out of the north and heading south.

10. walter sniper

walter sniper

Definitely. Had a buddy hunting LSC that weekend and he said sky was black, high, and headed south.
    I think we will get one more good push this week. The birds that stay are the ones staying for the winter.
    My son goes to NMU in Marquette and said last week the bridge was covered with ducks. Ssooo??

11. SteelShot

SteelShot

I️ haven’t seen much since the big storm in early November. I️ live a few hundred yards from a small private lake the ducks use as a roots all season. No one has permission to hunt it. I️ can sit in my deck on most nights and see 500+ fly by. Recently less than twenty per night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babs2699 likes this.
  12. adam bomb

adam bomb

I agree. I think the gnarly in that storm was just too gnarly. One of them storms where we were not a stop over but a pass over. I was on the bay when it hit. Water rose 2' in 5 minutes. It was incredibly fierce. There were birds that hung on a few days, hunting at FP and NP was amazing. But it got calm and cold and froze the corn a few times. It's been a steady downhill slide since. I hunt twice the week of freeze ups and didn't shoot my gun. Buddy was just out the other night st FP, didn't shoot his gun. I took my dog for crip recovery on Friday at NP. They said Thursday nights kill was 3 ducks. Friday morning was 2 geese and 1 duck. We only had 2 opportunities at cripples. My 6 month old caught 1 and the other dove.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1512341806.185620.jpg

Like you, I do think we'll get a push this coming week with the cold weather. I think we'll see more Mallards and blacks, GE, Mergs and squaw and a few odd Bills thrown in. Pretty much what is being killed around the Bay Area now. As far as the birds at the bridge. Idk what to think about them. They always seem to be there and I think they only push down when it really gets cold. Even then they seem to get hung up around Tawas. The wife and I usually go up around New Years and without fail there will be Reds off Tawas Bay to the South swimming just off the pier.

goose schatt and babs2699 like this.
  13. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Those ducks stay at the bridge unless the odd chance the straits freeze, my opinion

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

adam bomb likes this.
  14. bheary

bheary

I witnessed that 5 days before Halloween over here in Green Bay, quite the sight to see. There hasn't been much for Mallards here either from what I have seen. They are pretty resilient I wouldn't be surprised if they are still up north. Or in Georgian Bay, I have seen several thousands of mallards stage there in the fall.

15. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

I saw that migration on LSC too over the 9th. Those were our birds we were waiting for. 4 days big groups would show up high, it would go on for 10 minutes. All mallards , although we shot 7 Blacks! Unreal. Week after close you will see the Mallards left north.