A true slab

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by badakbuddy, Feb 19, 2019.

1. badakbuddy

badakbuddy

Wife and I went to the Waterloo area. Beautiful day to be out. Some sun, no wind, 26 degrees, 8-10" of good ice, a little snow on top so not too slippery. But too often fish don't seem to bite with this kind of weather. Our first lake we marked fish but no bites. Moved to another lake and still slow, but I got a gill over 9 inches and a few other keepers.

I was just starting to think it's getting late and there's not enough for a meal so we'll release these and go home. Then my wife starts whooping and I turn around to see her holding up the biggest crappie I have ever seen. She hooked it in 5 fow using a 4mm tungsten jig with a spike. It tore out drag, doubled over her pole, and she thought it was a bass until it passed under the hole and she saw the specks. It was so big she was worried she couldn't get it up through the hole. She thought she could lose it so didn't do any hollering until she had it out. Then she was crazy happy!

I love the greenish gold coloring on these things when they are fresh out of the water. I'll put a tape measure on it tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will be 15". Perfect ending for a great day on the ice.

Huge crappie - Copy.jpeg

2. hockeyrat66

hockeyrat66

3. mjh4

mjh4

Good crappie! I caught one like that a couple years ago 15.5"s and had it mounted on a piece of driftwood. I think crappies look cool when you have them mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. badakbuddy

badakbuddy

Crappies are cool. The way the whole front of their head opens into that huge papermouth funnel perfect for sucking up minnows.

Drake and mudflapimmc like this.
  5. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

Nice one there. If I were u I'd fish that area some more this year.

Nostromo likes this.
  6. Scoop-D-Bear

Scoop-D-Bear

Curious, I've been having a tough time this winter locating them in the lake I fish. I've been from 10'-35' and drilled more holes than I care to admit with very limited success. "They" say to find them in the "deep basin" this time of year due to forage and oxygen levels.....that hasn't panned out for me and my typical 12-16' around weeds has only produced a couple of fish, mostly after dark each time out. Have used jigging raps, twisters/glow heads, glow tear drops and waxies, minnows on glow drops, minnows on plain treble's....been trying many set ups.
    You said your wife caught this one in 5' of water during the day? Is this an anomaly or do you find them that shallow often?

7. sweet lou

sweet lou

Nice deal, anyone know how old this fish is?

8. eagle eyes

eagle eyes

Master Angler wall mounter for sure. Congrats. Very nice fish.

9. Bhags8

Bhags8

They seem to only bite for like an hour or maybe a bit more on the lakes I've been to. I always go in the afternoons though. But right.before dark. And its chaos when they do. Got 19 in 40min, probably the most fun I've had on the ice. But have a headlamp ready. I was in about 12 FOW and weeds nearby. Havent had much luck 30 mins after dark, would love to find a lake to catch some nighttime winter crappie.

Ricky Missum likes this.
  10. badakbuddy

badakbuddy

An anomaly. My wife likes to poke around in shallow water and she asked for some holes there. We weren't targeting crappie but mostly after gills and hoping for crappies as a bonus.

11. Raylaser

Raylaser

Holy Crappie Batman!! Nice fish there for sure!!

12. Scoop-D-Bear

Scoop-D-Bear

That's CRAZY! I would never in a million look in 5' of water for them......maybe that's why I am not finding them :(

sweet lou likes this.
  13. Nik

Nik

i got a good bunch of them in about 6-8 ft i have heard there deep but i have always done better shallow

14. Scoop-D-Bear

Scoop-D-Bear

15. Kearly Shuffle

Kearly Shuffle