A thumb release or wrist strap and why?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Groundsize, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I shot bare-handed fingers for almost 20 years. In 1998 I hit a buck and didn't recover it. I decided it was time to go to a release. In 1999 I started using a 4-finger release and have been using one ever since.
    When deciding on the type I went to an archery shop to test some options. From the first time I drew with the hand-held 4-finger I know it was the release meant for me. Although different, the form used was just way more comfortable.
    Try this.. without even holding a bow go into the draw position that you'd use for the wrist rocket. Now, rotate your hand inward so that your knuckles touch your cheek. If this takes tension off your shoulder and feels more relaxed - the thumb release will likely be your choice.
    If it feels uncomfortable, stick with the wrister.
    <----<<<

jrose and Groundsize like this.
  2. Groundsize

Groundsize

Very interesting results and response. Thanks a ton.

3. Groundsize

Groundsize

Very good information. I have never tried a thumb release. This would be all new to me. I decided to wait until the off season this winter to persue switching.

HUBBHUNTER2 and Joe Archer like this.
  4. 454casull

454casull

Wise move, you may regress a little so don’t give up, but once you are comfortable the improvements will show quickly.

HUBBHUNTER2 likes this.
  5. CDN1

CDN1

Just a suggestion you may want to look at john Dudley's "silver back" or his "nock to it" release
    The release forces you to pull through the shot and offer a proper release. There is a learning curve so buy when you have a good chance to practice. There is no trigger persay just a safety while drawing and pull through it until the shot goes off. I tried the longhorn hex it helps but you can still force the shot.

6. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

I feel a thumb release is a very technical release, and needs to have certain traits to make it a benefit to the archery. Low travel with a crisp, zero travel mechanism. Along with proper activation of the trigger.

I see now that thumb releases are gaining in popularity and I think it's simply because they're "popular". I'd say 90% of hunters using a thumb release are using one for that reason only and are actually seeing less consistency with one over a standard wrist release. Watch their insta-feeds...they slap that thumb button fast and hard...when they should be wrapping that thumb around the button and letting pressure build up on the thumb until a surprise release is achieved.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  7. 454casull

454casull

Exactly. Its a whole new process not a band-aid.

Skibum likes this.
  8. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

As 454 mentioned there could be some regress. Happened a little to me. The day I picked out my release, I was stacking arrows and everything felt great. By about July I noticed my groups at 40 and 50 were very inconsistent. Worked on wrapping my thumb around the trigger more and things improved from there and i'm shooting better than I ever have. John Dudley is a great guy to follow on YouTube as well as Levi Morgan. They put out great content on how to shoot a thumb style properly.

U of M Fan and Groundsize like this.
  9. 454casull

454casull

GRIV, George Ryels Archery Learning Center, another source of overall info, thing a week video are priceless

U of M Fan likes this.
  10. d_rek

d_rek

IMO the biggest benefit of a thumb release is not perceived gains in accuracy, but just not having to have a release strapped to your wrist, interfering with clothing, gloves, etc. At least for hunting. Target shooting is a different thing.

I was shooting lights out with a strap before I switched to a thumb. Can still shoot lights out with a strap. Target panic is a different monster altogether, but can maybe be mitigated with different release style.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    jrose likes this.
  11. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Been a while now but I had target panic really bad, could never settle on the dot on the target. Was like two different poles to a magnet no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the pin on the dot and would breeze by the bullseye and punch the trigger.
    I read a article somewhere that suggested to draw and not shoot, practice holding the pin on the dot. At first I couldn’t not shoot the bow, as hard as I tried I would still pull the trigger, then I started NOT putting my finger on the trigger and holding on the dot. It was tough and I would flinch repeatedly but after a week or so I had it beat, something you might want to try. I have the luxury of shooting at home and I was out there everyday, good luck !
    Flight

Groundsize likes this.
  12. trucker3573

trucker3573

Really the best cure for target panic is a non trigger release. They take a long time to master though and you don’t want to try it during the season. A thumb can work but it won’t do any good unless you execute your shot properly with it. Actuating the trigger with back tension and not manipulating it with your thumb. A lot of people really struggle with that and just end up punching the trigger same as they did on their wrist release. Therefore a release without a trigger may be the best bet in the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. smith34

smith34

A ton of great info above. Myself, I changed to a thumb release a few years back and would never turn back! A release of almost any type will not increase your accuracy unless you make improvements in yourself at the same time. For myself, my accuracy improved, but solely because with the new release I had to reteach myself a few things and helped clean up a few little bad habits. One “negative” of a thumb release vs a wrist release is that you can strap on almost any wrist release and be relatively comfortable at worst while the thumb releases are very much more “finicky” to every different person as to what is: uncomfortable, ok, or perfect. My recommendations if you are considering a thumb style release are: do not by a cheap one if possible (unless that is THE one that is most comfortable) and, go to a dealer that stocks many models and will let you test every one until you find THE one that fits you. 2 dealers that I know of are Long Range Archery (in Holland) and Shupachs (in Jackson). When I went to Long Range, he brought every one out and started shooting...as I shot, made 2 piles...like and dislike. Then went thru the like pile and made a new like/dislike piles until the final decision was made.
    One great point made above relates to hunting, not accuracy....it is great to not have something strapped to the wrist that may make a clang, catch when using a muff, etc...it’s just clipped and hanging on the string and ready to go.

14. randomstranger

randomstranger

I'm a thumb release guy, it feels more consistent to me. I don't have to mess with the strap over / under clothes and the impacts on my shot. BUT I use and highly recommend getting some sort of wrist strap to attach to your thumb release. Mine slipped out of my hand on a particularly humid and sweaty day and messed up a few things. Do yourself a favor and use a wrist strap even if you are using a thumb release.

15. TBONE73

TBONE73

I switched to a thumb release this year.
    It took a little time to warm up to it, but I do like it.
    But it changed my peep and draw length...
    Using the Nock2it release.
    I will note the clicking noise when locking onto the d loop causes me to leave it locked on my loop while in stand.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app