A thumb release or wrist strap and why?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Groundsize, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Groundsize

Groundsize

Guys,

Im looking at getting a 4 finger type thumb release to try this season or off season over my current Scott wrist release. Im trying to address a target panic issue and who knows maybe a thumb release will help with that. Not sure as I never shot one before. What are your thoughts? Make sure to say why also.

Paul

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I shoot fingers. It allows me to be more instinctive. I tried releases and the act of pulling the trigger versus relaxing my fingers was too much to overcome. I guess that doesn't do anything g to address your question, sorry

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Groundsize likes this.

3. 454casull

454casull

Unless you are a total mess do not switch during the season. If you’re 100% sure you will miss any deer you shoot at apply @H8ed.com..

Now to get serious, switching to a thumb, like any other change, requires full commitment. You peep, anchor and even draw length may need to change. You should also inventory your shot process, draw length (is it really correct?) and your form. All these issues might initially get masked by a switch but it won’t cure the previous issues if present. If you are just freezing below the target and your bow arm seems like it’s being held down them watch GRIVs thing a week #8 I think. Ok now we are past that. I switched 5 years ago and am still kicking my own azz for not doing it sooner. It just made me realize how ****tie my form and process was. I’ll never go back to a wrist release. I first tried the thumb without changing anything from the wrist setup and after 2 shots I almost gave the release back, a friend had graciously lent me to try. Came back 2 weeks later and committed to learning. It took awhile but I am shooting better than I ever have and am now able to self diagnose much better because I Am in control of the shot. Guy on Archery talk Padgett talk release firing engines in terms of how you can make the shot break, good info there. Can you still punch a thumb? Oh hell yes and you can still do a drive by. Long winded, sorry but learn from my mistakes.

textox, Lumberman, Urriah and 8 others like this.
  4. pgpn123

pgpn123

TP sucks. After 30 yrs I tried going from a wrist to a thumb 2 yrs ago. I couldn't get it down. I tried for a month, starting in February and said forget it and went back to the wrist. It kept flying from my hand, lol. With the wrist, you use your whole arm, don't need to use hand/fingers to pull. I started having thoughts of a cold sit. Plus with the thumb, I could still punch the trigger. I wasn't getting the surprise release. I liked the idea of it hanging from the loop on stand. A lot of people use the thumb. You'll figure out what works for you.

sparky18181 and Groundsize like this.
  5. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

I used a thumb release for a numbers of years I liked it a lot, it was a cheap one but that is what my budget allowed, I now use a James Greene Gator release (finger) and it has worked well for many years, it took some getting used to having it hanging from my wrist. in between I tried a higher end thumb release I think it was a tension or resistance release when this worked it was so smooth but I never got comfortable with it and had a number of shots go off when not ready or expected so that is when I went to the gator release.

Groundsize likes this.
  6. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Tried all summer with a Stan's Perfex all summer and never got the hang of it. Bought the new Thrufire release over labor day and shot it for 2 weeks before returning it. Think there was something wrong with it. It did shoot extremely good, but could not get the tension low enough that it wouldn't torque the bow when pulling.

Target panic sucks. Had it bad earlier this year and was missing 30 yard targets

Groundsize likes this.
  7. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Man I feel your pain. I tried different releases, the usual suggestions that are supposed to help mentally, etc... only thing that has really worked is xbow and it still frustrates the crap out of me. I'd love to return to a vertical bow but I personally cannot shake target panic.

Everyone is different and I hope its a simple fix for you

Groundsize likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee

I’ve shot a recurve bow for nearly 60 years, and a compound bow for about twenty years in that mix. Always a finger shooter, shot well , killed plenty of deer and never had a problem. About a month ago I got the brilliant idea of shooting a video on my iPhone while I shot my recurve. I discovered that I was short drawing—even though my accuracy was fine—so set about to fix that. I then quickly started drawing even shorter, lost my anchor & accuracy and the more I tried the worse it seemed to get. I’m making a complicated story sound simple.

A couple days ago I was out at camp where I could flight shoot and I found myself hitting full anchor pretty quickly to get more yardage outta the shot. My shots cleared up and it was great seeing the improved flight and distance. That transferred to target shooting and I found myself drawing back to my old anchor point with good arrow flight & accuracy like it had never left. I just needed a chance to make it feel natural again.

Just passing this on as it is truly in our head.

9. bapotter

bapotter

What is the actual target panic symptom that you are having? Changing release styles can mask TP for bit, but it's likely a shot execution issue.

I never had bad TP, just the occasional flinch...I decided to learn and ingrain proper archer form using back tension and pulling through the shot (GRIV as noted above, as well as John Dudley, have some good resources online). The key was learning to never force a shot. If the shot wouldn't break, let down. This was the hardest part. My goal was executing perfect fundamental shots. I didn't care where I hit...didn't even have a target to aim at. It took a few months of shooting close range almost everyday. I can now shoot a wrist strap, thumb, and hinge all using the same basic method. I prefer the hinge for shooting but hunt with a thumb.

Here's a good video to start...

Groundsize likes this.
  10. HillbillyDeluxe

HillbillyDeluxe

Switched to thumb release due to shoulder problems with the wrist strap pulling on it weird. So I’m going to have to stick with it or switch to crossbow.

11. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

Definitely do not switch now. Before you get one... i'm assuming you've tried a bunch out but if not you just need to spend a day at an archery shop that carries all kinds and just shoot them all. Each one will fit you completely different. Walt D and I spent 5 hours at Shupachs this past February shooting a dozen different brands and designs. I settled on the Carter Plain 1.
    You can still develop target panic with a thumb release so don't think its a cure all just by switching. I've been wanting to switch for the last 3 years but wasn't able to commit in the off season to enough shooting. As 454 mentioned, it will be a big change. I jumped all in this spring (perfect timing with Covid) so I was really able to work on things. Cleared up a lot of shooting form errors I developed over the years. I definitely regret not switching sooner and I have two other friends that shoot thumb style as well and they feel the same.

Groundsize and U of M Fan like this.
  12. monjorrow

monjorrow

Get a Scott Longhorn Hunter. Will help tremendously with your TP if you use it correctly.

13. 454casull

454casull

I hesitated to mention the test drive. There are soooo many models out there it’s not funny. Some will work some will not. I use a three finger, first one I shot was a four but dropped the pinkie, that’s just me. Rotating head or not, long neck, even finger sweep. You need to try as many as you can, I got lucky and went with an SX3, Stan. The Archery Talk classifieds are full of I tried it but didn’t like it slightly used releases. You need to have an idea what you want so find a place, long drive or not, and shoot then. Will save hassle in the long run. If it sounds like work it is, but the benefits are stellar if you don’t try to cut corners. I will restate that you need to be sure your TP is not due to form/process/fit as it will continue with a thumb. If all is correct the thumb will force you to execute properly and use a consistent “firing engine”, you will enjoy the end results

HUBBHUNTER2 likes this.
  14. Uber-Schneider

Uber-Schneider

I grew up on a recurve and then early compounds, finger/instinctive all the way. After a while (and work/family responsibilities), I just didn't have the time necessary for the practice, and keyboarding/carpal tunnel issues took their toll. Finally moved to sight, then a wrist strap release/finger trigger a few years back and it removed a lot of variables (how much I can hold back, inherent left/right torque on the string). I'm good with the wrist strap as my arm can simply hold back more than my fingers, and have more control.

Like Stubee I've noticed a few issues that have cramped into my form (like snap shooting), but it's where the practice comes in to make your whole "target focus-draw-lock-release" more of a consistent/second nature process. Remember the animals deserve an accurate, humane shot if your going to take it.

Stubee likes this.
  15. d_rek

d_rek