A special Pike Fishery

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Vertical jig, Nov 10, 2020.

1. gundogguy

gundogguy

Better yet I'll Don Dickson show you the same way he showed me..
    Don use to host Fishing schools at the Menaki lodge in Canada during the month of June He and Buck did it for years. Them and their students caught some 10,000 fish using Bucks teachings about a Fish. This video has Don using Monel Wire line, rememeber Don is fishing structure 40 to 60 fow They never caught a fish in less than 42 fow,
    not to worry braid or NOBO trolling line will work just fine down to 40fow
    Don has some very interesting comments near the end of this video.

The River Rig set-up...

Hal

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    sledman, on a call and Vertical jig like this.
  2. gundogguy

gundogguy

Not to worry Jig there are "Tried and True" ways to learn how to fish outside of the "box". and it is simple and easy even i can do it!

Hal

Vertical jig likes this.

3. on a call

on a call

Great post ! Thank you

Vertical jig likes this.
  4. Whales

Whales

KIMG4565.JPG I get into plenty of big pike in Lower Mich....both Small lakes and rivers and St.Clair....i'm usually not trying to catch them LOL ! all the Smallmouth rivers seem to have large pike in the metro area. Alot in St.Clair also.
    Screenshot_20201127-145211~2.png Screenshot_20201127-145236~2.png

Attached Files:

Vertical jig and gundogguy like this.
  5. detroitjim

detroitjim

Yup.... Outstanding Pike Fishery.

11/27 after 8pm from shore ,nearly a full moon,air temp about 45°, On a j9 black&silver.
    Got another one just a touch shorter on a j11 custom perch.
    Fished for 2 hours

11-2700003 p.jpg

6. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

Heading out tomorrow!!

Whales likes this.
  7. fisheater

fisheater

I troll with a crank and a spoon on the same rod most of the time. After all out of my canoe I can only handle two rods at a time. Running a plug and a spoon gives me twice the lures in the water. Since I started doing this, it has been pretty much 50% on whether it is the spoon or the plug gets hit.
    I tie my three way rigs out of Seaguar fluorocarbon line, not leader material. It could be any of the the types commonly available at Bass Pro which is only a couple miles from me. I use anything from 12lb to 20lb, but am leaning toward using 20lb more. It only takes one weed stalk to get one lead to wrap around the other. The stiffer line just seems to operate more efficiently. The short top lead is 18” with an American made ball bearing snap swivel for the spoon. The long lead has a snap for the plug and is 5’ 6” finished length.
    I can run two rods in my canoe without issue. I have run lures as deep as 100 feet on East Bay, using Torpedo Divers on both rods. I have a piece of 1x4 that I wrap assembled rigs on, it doesn’t take up much room in my milk crate. Every few trips I tangle up a rig. I just throw in the bow and salvage the hardware when I get home. I would tangle less if I fished with a motor, not that I’m interested in that. Just imagine the additional problems you would have if when you stopped paddling you had no boat control. It is a solid way to rig, and should work better in a boat.