A Must Read.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dish7, Mar 31, 2018.

1. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

2. ezcaller

ezcaller Premium Member

You cannot argue the passion Wensels have for the hunt! Some of his views are the same fears I have watching my kids evolve into hunters.They worry about if they have the right amount of bait more than wildlife movement,wind,and habits.In most hunters there is a urge to become better.I started with a recurve but a compound presented a efficient way to expand my range so a change is made.The compound held on to enough of the traditional archers traits to satisfy me. Same can be said for rifle shooters who find that tool to increase accuracy or range.It is human to use tools and improve on them.
    Most individuals look at the way it was done centuries ago and wonder could I have survived doing it the old ways with the old tools.Some decide to try, others commit.
    As a society we tend to fixate on the one part of a story or event that hits a nerve - boobs,range,traditional hunting, woodsmanship,tool of choice- all elements of the Wensel commentary which is a finger point at all generations to be careful because we are running the risk of losing the key elements that make hunting satisfying. Pinefarm is correct our decisions do affect others but when I make the statement that I hunt as an individual or for myself I am saying that I am not trying to impress anyone.If my freezer is empty then a doe,spike or buck fills the need.If I do not fill a tag with a bow then a rifle is used. There has been plenty of tag soup in my history and on those days my effort and the fact I did abide by the laws has to satisfy.

itchn2fish likes this.

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

"With the “help” of television celebrities, who often seem to think of themselves as somehow very special, hunting slowly but surely lost it’s romance. Our “music” increased in tempo but lost it’s rhythm."

Botiz, itchn2fish, ezcaller and 3 others like this.
  4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Are you meaning the Wensels ? Because they are not like other TV Hunters. In fact totally the opposite.

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

It's too bad that you didn't really try to figure out what that whole blog was about.

You have to wonder how long it will be before those guys with the red/black checked shirts quit hunting and join those apathetic voters who didn't bother to support the dove hunting issue.

Wonder how that's going to work out when it comes to deer hunting?

6. hunterrep

hunterrep

It was a good read, and I get what he is saying, but not quite sure how I feel about it. All of us, including the Wensels, have evolved our hunting methods to some point or we would all be running around in loin cloths throwing spears at animals. I'm not saying the point of the article was to be critical, but in general to criticize another hunter for evolving farther than you have is a very slippery slope that I don't think we want to start down.
    Now more than ever, hunters need to stick together and defend our sport and portray it the best we can as an activity that is warranted and can be accepted by the non-hunting community, otherwise we are doomed. That doesn't mean debate isn't needed within our community, that is how we find common ground to do what is right for our sport and the resource. It does mean we should debate to the best of our ability without passing judgement on methods and weapons chosen by other hunters.
    Heck, exchange the word "hunting" in this article for just about anything else and it will apply. Evolution is inevitable, doesn't mean it is always a bad thing.

7. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I identify with their views and respect their attitudes and beliefs.

8. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I do remember the first video I saw, it was a Nugent hunt, it had to be in the eighties. It turned me off from the very beginning. I found his attitude offensive and a total lack of respect towards his quarry.
    Meeting him on several occasions only confirmed that. Won't make that mistake again.

jr28schalm and stickbow shooter like this.
  9. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Well said. I think we can all agree that commercialization of anything, even though it can mean growth and $$, often leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Talk about your clay-banked wallow!

mbrewer and itchn2fish like this.
  10. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

This post reminds me of when i visited Colorado, bad taste in my mouth

11. Chessieman

Chessieman

These guys were born when EVERYBODY had to conform to society's rules. I bet anybody with a Beatles haircut would not be in their deer camp. His rambling sounds just like the conforming lifestyle at that time. We now embrace individualism which we know is for the better.
    By the way, I am in my 60's but no cheap licences yet. I stick hunted and bought one of the first compounds when they come out. I have been muzzle loading since we first had a season. I have been to some of these old deer camps in my youth. They were OK because you could go hunting, that was it, only for hunting.
    I do think Trap Star (if he is) does have a valid point.

itchn2fish likes this.
  12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

His " ramblings" are very true . I should ad they are know for there non PC attitudes. If what they say offends you, oh well. Truth hurts sometimes. They are known as the Ramblin Rednecks for a reason.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I knew that saying would lead to something, even as I typed it out!

Anyone got a rimshot for this guy?? :)

14. Waif

Waif

The grump knows what year it is. However it is not the year the bow was invented ,is it?
    Try not hunting with anything ,or any concept pre 2018. See how that works?
    Maybe Gene's writing has a heavy smack of nostalgia. So what? Our recounting our experience over time would not?

Just some one else's experience. reading about it does not mean having to adopt all it's concepts. Or that you are soiled with it. Just a picture of another time and place and person and perception.
    Read enough such ,and glean what you like ,and discard the rest.

The majority of hype promoted today , and how it is presented is annoying to those not familiar with it.
    Nothing new there.

Whoo-hoo ,look at me!!! I'd like to thank the rancho bucko ,my bow manufacturer ,broadhead seller ,El-Roy's seasoned buck pepper , Our Titanium buck fork and spoon supplier , Shady seed inc . , Without which I could not have shot this buck in the ham at forty yards , The whole cast and crew ,and you our faithful audience viewers.
    Buy our this weeks video , and stay tuned for our next weeks video release with our special guest a legend among sponsors for her genuine portrayal of what dear hunting is all about , at the fabulous cowa-bunga ranch. We know you'll like it so till then ,hunt like us superstars!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  15. 357Maximum

357Maximum Banned

If you ever saw what I do and could read my mind when I first approach any dead animal I just killed and I plan to eat you would not have a problem with a simple term I use, I guarantee that. Ditch goats, Chinese chickens, tree rats, etc is actually a term of endearment and they are all welcome on my dinner plate if properly killed and cooked. They are all food the Good Lord has blessed me with, but they are not worshipped in their own right, they are food, food that is fun to get.

vsmorgantown and sNeAkYpEtE11 like this.