A long week..

Discussion in 'Sportsmen of Faith' started by growninmi, Feb 19, 2018.

1. growninmi

growninmi

I am going to preface this post with a simple statement. I'm not very religious.
    I have my beliefs and ideas, and I use them to guide me through, as well as to help determine right from wrong. People around me joke that when I do step into a church, the holy water bubbles and you hear sizzle sounds.

With that, I was in need of a vent or just to share some of my tragedies, and I thought about this part of our forum.

Last Saturday the 10th a very good friend of mine lost his son to suicide. He was in his 30s and had some real struggles with life, and it just seemed to have been too much for the young man.

On that very day, I was saying my good byes to my father as he passed away on Sunday. He had been fighting cancer for a while and as the week was ending, it was clear he wasn't going to make it through the weekend.

As I started to grieve these losses, my brother started making waves inside the family and caused this past week to be even harder.

As we got closer to the weekend, my week of hell seemed to be settling down.

My kids had no school Friday. I don't allow kids to use social media at home, we don't have internet and they don't have cell phones. They have tablets from the school but with no wifi at home, it keeps them from doing much of the stuff I prefer they don't do.

As we were heading to my daughters ball game on Friday, I get a call from a friend of mine, asking what one of my buddies son's name is.
    I told him, and he said he saw a post on social media that the boy had passed.
    Not only was this a friend of mines son, but my oldest boys best friend.
    I instantly called my buddy and no answer, I shot him a text and just said if you need anything call..he quickly responded with something to affect that he was in car with his other son, and in no condition to speak. Sadly that confirmed my fear.

I nearly drove off the road doing all of 20 mph and my son just kept asking what's wrong. I had to break it to him his best friend was gone.

My son is 16, his friend was 15. My son asked to stay away from home for the weekend and school was closed today, but he came back home today.
    He is having such a difficult time. It's the most helpless I have ever felt as a parent, and maybe even in my entire life.
    I've watched this child just sob for hours on end and nothing I say or do has been of any comfort it seems.

This 15 year old who we have lost was huge outdoorsman. He has shot more deer than most can imagine. He loved to fish, hunt and just be outside. My son and him were pretty close, and about 6 months ago got into some trouble together and I think it made them even closer.

At this point in my life, I have 3 friends who have lost sons to suicide in past 18 months. Two of these troubled souls were teenagers.
    If anyone of you sees anyone who is having any issues, and you are concerned, speak up for them. I know it doesn't need said, but it's just a reminder. As well as if you or anyone is having issues that seem to be too much, again speak up for them or yourself, ask for help.

It's been a really long 9 days for me and sadly, the next 3-4 are gonna be even harder.
    Tomorrow my son returns to school for first time since his friend passed. He already told me his biggest fear is walking into English and not being greeted by his buddy, let alone the empty seat that is now next to him.
    My boy is struggling through it and is only gonna find the next few days to be even more difficult. After a day of class, he then will attend a funeral, church and a burial of a child who had an entire life ahead of him and the demons inside of him have kept him from living it.

I ask you pray for my son, his lost friend along with his family, and all of the others who need your prayers.

Thanks for the space to vent.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  2. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Prayers for your son.

3. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

And sorry about your father.

4. Namrock

Namrock

Thoughts & prayers for all that have touched you & your families life during this horrible time recently. Words may sound hollow, but just be there for your son. It may not seem that it's doing any good, but he needs his family's love & support. More now than probably any other time in his life. Wishing him the strength to heal.

5. 101thwacK

101thwacK

Prayers for strength, peace, and healing for your family and all those affected.

6. itchn2fish

itchn2fish

Praying for your son, his lost friend, your family & his family, and all of the others, including you.

7. Waif

Waif

Hug your boy.( Once at least ,even if he squirms).
    Rough week indeed.

I'll quote a priest who was on the sidewalk inviting passers by to come in for a service when a group of youths toting brown bagged bottles politely declined his offer.( Yep ,even I visited a cathedral for a service once...)
    One of them asked him to say a prayer for him though.
    The priest replied ," I' ll do that ,if you say one for me...."

8. growninmi

growninmi

I have had a hard time with losing my father, but think I've had a harder time trying to grasp the loss of a child. Isn't how things are supposed to be. Comforting my son is all I can do, he seems to be finding some peace with things, but I think it's about to get a bit tougher with the services today.

9. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

I am so sorry not just for your loss but all the others and there family's. My prayers are with and for all to heal.

10. Wandering arrows

Wandering arrows

prayers sent for you and your family and all other family's involved