A little help for river salmon....

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by fowlpursuit, Aug 25, 2020.

1. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Flossers get the outer jaw

jmaddog8807 likes this.
  2. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

tells you how much flossing i've been doing! :one_eye:

Bucket-Back likes this.

3. BMARKS

BMARKS

Im sure someone will tell me im just a dirty snagger, and they can think that, but i have had so many kings bite single egg flies in october its not even funny. it seems like post spawn and before death they get a little hunger in em again. i have caught enough fish to know the difference between lining and biting fish. i fish the dark water after the crowds are gone looking for steelhead and always catch post spawn kings, i catch them running plugs in october too. half rotten ones sometimes. i truly think that they bite better than they get credit its just the angler harassment that turns them off.

1302berkey, ongo, C~DUB and 4 others like this.
  4. MT2MI

MT2MI

I've noticed this too! However, my observations suggest that at these advanced stages of maturity muscle and tissue deterioration is so severe that the fish have a hard time keeping their mouths closed. At this point flossing becomes highly productive! ;)

riverbob likes this.
  5. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

I've experienced this a lot as well. I wonder if some of it has to do with less fishing pressure. Probably also that will to live after the spawn.

riverbob likes this.
  6. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

bmarks,mt2mi, n fishmichv2, all sounds good, maybe u guys should have a debate, it would be better then the presidential one

7. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

a few yrs ago I saw a labor day weekend king take a bead fished by a kid that was on a day trip up from downstate....they netted it right in front of me and I helped them remove the hook. Not flossed or snagged in any way.

8. nichola8

nichola8

Agreed....they do weird things in October when pressure shuts down and they can just be "normal".

I remember standing over Brooks Creek one time and watching a mid 20's buck king chasing and biting at leaves that were tumbling downstream. Guaranteed that this fish would have hit a topwater fly the way it was acting, too bad I was working and it's a private stretch.

C~DUB likes this.
  9. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

I have surprisingly caught a few Kings on beads this year. It seems to work well for me when everyone around me is fishing Skein.

10. Ypsimax

Ypsimax

Any particular color or size work better than others for you? I'm NW bound here in a few hours.

11. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

Natural colors have worked best for me - 10-12mm beads.

Ypsimax likes this.
  12. Ypsimax

Ypsimax

I appreciate the info!