A huge thank you!

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by John the fisherman, Oct 26, 2020.

1. John the fisherman

John the fisherman

Yesterday morning we were awakened by a smoke detector! The Fire department responded very fast, thankfully, the fire in the wall behind the chimney in the three seasons room was caught when it was it did not reach the ceiling and roof! 2020102595072637.jpg 2020102595072637.jpg 2020102595104826.jpg

Scout 2, jd4223, vsmorgantown and 4 others like this.
  2. MEL

MEL Premium Member

Wow, WOW!!! That could have turned out real bad. We hope everything turns out well for you.

3. John the fisherman

John the fisherman

We know how lucky we are! Thank God for watching out for us and thank goodness for new smoke detectors!

MichMac, jimbo, Scout 2 and 4 others like this.
  4. fishmark

fishmark Premium Member

I contract for Hammer Restoration. 1/2 of home fires are stove and fire place/wood burner related.

Glad you and your home are okay. Looks like a bit of smoke damage.

bobberbill likes this.
  5. John the fisherman

John the fisherman

Yeah the basement was really smokey!

6. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Smoke detectors strike again. Glad nobody was hurt and the damage wasn't too bad.

Those fire guys can sure tear it up can't they.

7. jd4223

jd4223

When I was a Detroit cop we would have to respond to fires and a majority of the time we would beat the fire trucks to the location. When they would arrive,we would always make jokes to the fire crew and say "Hey look, the basement savers are here" Always respected those guys. They do a job I would never do and I always told them how much I appreciated them. I don't care what the season or weather was,there was never a good time to fight a fire...Too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer...My hats off to them.

motdean, jimbo, Scout 2 and 2 others like this.
  8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Glad to see a good news story! As a public service announcement (my stepdad was a fire chief), please remember to change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors at least one a year. I do it on the time change weekend so I don't forget...

motdean, jd4223, Scout 2 and 3 others like this.
  9. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Buy lithium batteries, they last 7 years. The way I cook they get tested frequently.

10. John the fisherman

John the fisherman

We bought the house 6 weeks ago and my brother in law who is a retired firefighter told us buy new smoke detectors and we did just that! (Thank you Mike!)

11. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

Glad to hear they put it out before it got too bad.

We had a similar issue a few years ago. I was hunting about 1.5 hours from home. My wife came home from Meijer and she smelled hot electrical. She thought it might have been the TV or something else but couldn't lock down the location. She turned off the main breaker and called her cousin who is the fire chief in our town. He was away at a football game and told her to call 911. The fire dept showed up and the first person came up with a Flir scope and saw the front of our house was at 700+ degrees. Long story short we had an outside GFCI plug that shorted out somehow and started a fire in the wall. Fireman took a saw to our siding and used our garden house to put it out. Left us a mess of wet shredded newspaper but the alternative would have been much worse. Scary situation for sure.

motdean, Team Camo and 6Speed like this.
  12. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Glad you're all safe, you can always repair/rebuild.

13. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Wood stoves not taken care of can be a big hazzard. In the mid 80's we had a fire in the dining room. There was a woodstove there but we no longer used it. The day after the fire the cheif came to my folks and met with me to let me know what the cause was, He said the wood stove. Being a smalll town I knew everyone on the fire Dept. I said Luke did you loo in that stove. He said no. I said lets go take a look. He opened the door and first thing he said. Hell there is nothing in it. Turns out the cause was electrical in the ceiling at a light fixture

jimbo likes this.
  14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Chimney sweeping every couple of years is a good plan too...just saying.

DecoySlayer likes this.
  15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Once a year if you are burning wood that has not been well seasoned.

I can tell you that fighting a chimney fire, when it's 15 degrees, and snowing sideways is by far not the most fun thing in the world.

6Speed likes this.