A Half A Century.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by "Big Tuna", Sep 30, 2020.

1. "Big Tuna"

"Big Tuna"

It's hard to believe come tomorrow morning I will be hitting the woods with bow in hand for fifty years. And oh the memories and adventures I rewind and remember every year. I also thank God for letting me see another opener.

Good luck to all and how many years have you enjoyed the archery season ?? And what do you remember about "the ol days"?

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Happy anniversary.

John Hine and "Big Tuna" like this.

3. Namrock

Namrock

50 years? Great job, that's pretty amazing. Enjoy the day & the memories that will no doubt put a smile on your face that come with it.

4. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

44 seasons for me. Good lord!!

How about the first time you received a string slap on your forearm, because "you didn't need that arm guard". :lol:

My first kill (1976), 37 pound Bear recurve, cedar arrow, Bear broadhead with blood trailer. Uncle walked out the shot afterwards and said 29 yards. Went 50-60 yards and dropped, right through the heart. It was a doe.
    My dad's reaction was "crap now I'm gonna have to teach him how gut-it" slap on the back of my head and told to go get whiskey bottle.:chillin:

5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

45 years for me tomorrow, lots changed hasn't it. Thing that I remember the most is there wasn't as many people bowhunting back when I started. Remember one trip my cousins and me went week long hunt to Crystal Falls in the western UP. The three of us rode in a car all jammed in with our stuff. The trail to our spot was better suited for a 4x4 but we made do lol. We made a shelter out of a logpile that the loggers had left. And then proceeded to go hunting.
    Never seen so many deer in our lives, flinging arrows ,laughing and dragging. It was a awesome time. On the way home we pulled into a gas station in Iron Mountain. There was a few customers in there and they soon we're talking and pointing at us. One guy was over heard saying WTF it ain't deer season yet. I guess they didn't know about archery season and were not prepared to see five deer tied to the roof of a car lol.

6. Chessieman

Chessieman

Same as you, the advent of the compound bow!

John Hine likes this.
  7. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

That's the truth, there were very few people I knew that archery hunted.

8. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

I believe personally the big increase was crossbows, just my opinion/observation. Two guys I hunt with now would not be able to hunt with a bow, because of physical limitations. crossbows have allowed them to continue archery hunting. But that's just my opinion.

Sparky23, John Hine and "Big Tuna" like this.
  9. Macs13

Macs13

Season number 2 for me and still hoping for my first deer. I got close a couple of times last year but didn't quite get it done. New bow this year so I'm feeling confident!

Stay safe out there, fellas

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. old graybeard

old graybeard

51 bow seasons for me, 58 total deer seasons. Started before compounds existed. First bow was as 45lb Bear Grizzly and tree stands weren't even legal. Great memories for sure. Can't wait to start another chapter in the morning.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Trap Star, Skibum, alaska86 and 14 others like this.
  11. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

This will be my 64th season. Not bow hunting, fire arm hunting. I do not think that there was even a bow season back then. Regulations were so much simpler then. You did not have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure them out. You could shoot a bear on your deer license. I never heard of any one shooting one in the Baldwin area I hunted in back then.

Hopefully I can keep at it for a few more years if my worn out body tells me to give it up.

12. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

There was an archery deer season, but I don't know if there were separate tags for archery and gun. My mom shot an 8 point in 1953 with the same bow I killed my first with in 76.

13. up520

up520

You'll get it done, just stay with it and learn from the master hunters here.

Most importantly - have fun and be safe

All too soon you'll be one of the Holy Sh -- it's been 50 years

14. NoJoe

NoJoe

22 years for me

up520, John Hine, Wasman2. and 2 others like this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I’ve been deer hunting since ‘68 and archery deer hunting since ‘72. I still take my 55# Bear Kodiak Magnum for a walk in the woods every fall. I forget if it’s a ‘71 or ‘72. This will be the first year it stays home. I hurt my left shoulder at the beginning of the summer and have not practiced with it at all this year. I’m having soreness after a practice session with my Mathews to the point i have to use my right arm to lift up my left the next day. I’ll be out but using a hand crank to cock the Excalibur this season. Getting old and arthritis sucks.