A few questions and/or info?

Discussion in 'Crayfish Trapping' started by BJ37, Jan 3, 2018.

1. BJ37

BJ37

Just moved close to the snake river in Idaho. Understand its great for crawdads. Looking for trapping info. "Q" I plan on square traps with the flat ramp, and about 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch opening. In reading various articles it sounds like some CD can find their way back out. I like the idea of hanging wires that can swing out of the way for entering, but block the entrance for escape. How much push will the CD do to get in? Will they push the wires up and aside to get past? ------- How much activity is there at various temperatures? ----- Some places they say more activity during the day, and other places at night. ---- How steep can the trap input ramp be ----- Will my leftovers (shell and discards) after a meal work for bait? ----- How does size vary with time of year? ----- This area has slow, but definite current. Plan on a single opening and will place trap with opening facing down stream. Won't they smell the bait from down stream and work their way up stream to locate it? ------ Are there any sites that show activity in a tank or stream, showing how they move around? ------ Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks

2. junkman

junkman

Look for areas with structure like rocks and logs gravel or rocky bottom and water flow.About 2" or 2.5" is a good size trap entrance.A few will always find their way out.Just like you are planning trap facing down stream and they will work their way up stream.The best bait I have found so far is fresh fish.

3. PA Crayfish

PA Crayfish

As far as your question regarding if they can "push open swinging doors" I would recommend watching the following underwater video inside a trap exactly as you describe. There is a Youtube Channel called Crayster and they have tons of videos of trapping the big Signal Crayfish out west, definitely some cool footage to see, hope this helps

4. BJ37

BJ37

5. BJ37

BJ37

Thanks, junkman At this time, it appears like gravel and rocks are not an option. I need to stay very close to the banks due to river traffic and that's quite heavy with silt. Don't want somebody to find my rigging with there prop or line.

6. BJ37

BJ37

Thanks PA, that is exactly what I was hoping to find. Very interesting