8 years and Counting

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Flight of the arrow, Aug 21, 2020.

1. 12Point

12Point

Shot a nice buck on Nov 15th last year and typically shoot 1-3 does during the late gun season. This is on private land. I started off hunting public land in Leelanau County in the late 80s and 90s. 1st year hunting, a guy stole my 6pt that I shot, then I missed an 8pt. Hell of a 1st year, then it went downhill from there. Didn't even see a buck the next 10 years on public. No doe tags back then either. I only hunted 3 days/yr back then. Once I started buying my own hunting land, things changed. Once I started managing, passing smaller deer, and doing food plots, it changed even more. Those of us fortunate enough to own property are living the American dream!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I hunted my butt off last year during archery, putting in somewhere around 30 days and 240 hours on stand without putting anything in the freezer. I didn't pass up a single deer that was at least 1.5 years of age. Just didn't see many deer at all, and didn't have shot opportunities on the few archery encounters that I did have.
    I hunted opening day of firearms with the skunk as well. On November 16th I was just about to give up on the season when this 2.5 year old buck decided to have mercy on me.
    [​IMG]
    The day after Thanksgiving, 11/29/19, On MY VERY NEXT HUNT, I took one of the biggest doe I have ever seen!
    [​IMG]
    So, I guess it has been about 262 days from today for me.
    <----<<<

3. dec 15

Joe Archer likes this.
  4. Craves

Craves

December 7th 2019...killed a doe with my muzzloader.

Last gun buck was November 15th 2017. 3.5 year old 9 point. 12 gauge 870.

I enjoy every part of the season from beginning to end.

5. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I can't remember the last time I killed a buck but then my granddaughter gets first shot sitting with me. Last year she got buck fever looking at antlers and missed with her bow. :) I also have to hunt near camp and can no longer move to different spots. [My glasses are broken in this picture which doesn't help. I tend to do dumb things like that the last few years but I just enjoy still being out.]

Attached Files:

6. 50yearsadeerhunter

50yearsadeerhunter

Got a nice 10 pt last year in U.P. After a number of dry years having to try to identify a number of them with at least 3pts or better! Everywhere I hunted I seen Wolve tracks. Miss the 1987-91 years !

pgpn123, 12Point, Joe Archer and 4 others like this.
  7. fishpig

fishpig

It's been somewhere around a week, week and a half. Still have two more damage permits to fill but it's been a lot tougher than I thought. The beans are so tall all you can see are the tips of the deers ears.

Fool'em likes this.
  8. Oak Ridge

Oak Ridge

The last deer I shot was an 8 pt in 2010 with archery. The last one with firearm was probably 2008 or 09. I put half a cow in my freezer each yr so I basically hunt to be outdoors and don’t mind passing. My dad use to tell me I turned into a deer lover instead of a deer hunter.

I passed on this 8 pt 4 times last season and have a ton of pics of him and a 10 pt so far this year. Maybe I’ll squeeze the trigger this year.. my wife doesn’t think I will.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

up520, Doghouse 5, Craves and 5 others like this.