8 years and Counting

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Flight of the arrow, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

It’s been 8 years since I’ve shot a deer any deer with a firearm. I have November 15th and 16th off and will hunt the weekend following and thanksgiving weekend. Not that I couldn’t have but I never see anything that gets me Excited enough to shoulder my gun. I know a lot of hunters who shoot deer every year with a gun but if you gun hunt every year how long has it been since you have shot a deer any deer with a gun.
    Flight

Waif, up520, Doghouse 5 and 2 others like this.
  2. old graybeard

old graybeard

3. Dish7

Dish7

I shoot does every year, but a buck? It's been a minute. Big fellas disappear Nov 15th around here. Looking back through my pics, 2013 for a buck.

4. Flight of the arrow

I say every year I’m going to shoot a doe but never do, I think if I cut up my own I would be doing it more than I do. So many deer get killed during firearm season I just hate throwing a deer on a pile of deer and expect to get my deer back. I used to shoot one with the muzzy and process It myself, when I retire I will process all of my deer myself. Seems to be a common theme, all the big fellas disappearing November 15th.......In the Branch.
    Flight

5. pgpn123

pgpn123

Last year. Got him back yesterday.
    2019 buck.jpg

caj33, Craves, Sprytle and 33 others like this.
  6. Flight of the arrow

Very nice Congrats !
    Flight

Doghouse 5 and pgpn123 like this.
  7. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

pgpn123 likes this.
  8. AKhunter

AKhunter

pgpn123 and Doghouse 5 like this.
  9. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

This past season..
    I /we , meat gun hunt every year .. One of my farmers requires me /us to take at least six deer a season (Indiana ) divided by three of us.. This particular farmer does not want us passing every deer me see !!
    Some years depending on the amount of crop damage he is witnessing on the farm.. He will require three deer each, for the three of us!!

NbyNW, vsmorgantown, PWood and 4 others like this.
  10. don

don Premium Member

Can't remember the last time I shot a buck on opening day of rifle season.
    I've always been out there but for more seasons than I can remember I've only had doe tags left, the buck tag(s) have already been filled prior to, punched and validated.

With no complaints or regrets ever here I see nothing changing, it's all good in this hunters point of view. Watching others fill a tag or two is plenty enjoyable in itself, usually they have far less free time to spend in the field than I. I have zero problems with them taking an animal I have previously passed, if they are happy I am too.

hoffie1, Craves, Sam22 and 12 others like this.
  11. up520

up520

8 year drought in the Yoop but got one at home in NW Indiana last year, which is the first in 2.

Need lots more time in the field and not at work.

12. Waif

Waif

It's been 9 months.

You sure you want to use a firearm?
    You'll probably flinch , and jerk the trigger ,and hurt your ears...IF you see anything you want to shoot.:lol:

13. Dish7

Dish7

Yeah, I cut my own. The only way I would ever take one to a processor is if it was too warm for me to get it done in a timely manner. I'm not real fast, lol.

14. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

X 2.

15. dpretired

dpretired

I hunt both on state land and private several days each year. And I don't get a buck every year and sometimes not even a baldy if I don't see one big enough to bother with. I'm not particular with bucks, any legal deer will do because my buck sightings are so far and few between anymore. Last year I had the unluckiest buck in Crawford County come walking towards me on the fifth day of rifle season and me and my hunting buddy were the only ones in the woods (state land north of Grayling) for miles around. He caught me when I started to swing my rifle around towards him and we had us a genuine five minute stare-down immediately afterwards, with both of us froze in position like statues. We were about 70 yards apart. Then he made the fatal mistake of turning his head for a moment to look at something behind him. Gave me that chance I was hoping for. Here he is, a seven pointer; one of the prettiest deer I ever shot.

HUNTING 2019 buck 2.jpg

timj, U of M Fan, hoffie1 and 48 others like this.