8/2 nighttime fishing SSP

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Macs13, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Macs13

Macs13

I wish that I had more to share beyond a skunk and some beautiful shots of the moon, but the Lake was cruel tonight. I knew that it wasn't the best wind and that the waves would be brutal (they were - actually they are... I'm still out, but trolling my way in) but I had hoped that the full moon and low pressure would net me a fish or two. I fished from stoney point back and forth past Fermi and eventually headed S for a long while to no avail. Here's the lesson learned - it isn't whether the EL - my boat - can handle the waves but instead it's that the storms and crashing seas stirred up so much grass and seaweed so as to make fishing practically impractical. Anywho, lesson learned and I got to spend an evening under the majestic moon. 20200802_205846.jpeg 20200802_232049.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

You crazy man!
    Be safe, you’ll get them next time!

Hook and Ladder and Gone_Hunting like this.

3. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Be SAFE my friend, enjoy the beauty of Erie, but don't get caught up in the moment, she is beautiful on the outside but mean and nasty bitc...on the inside. She will turn on u in a second.

4. fisherman 2

fisherman 2

erie is a mostly day time fishery for eyes...the only time people night fish is late summer on the reefs casting cranks and it's not many people and fall time at huron and east trolling shallow water.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. KI Jim

KI Jim

I have done the "casting cranks on the reef" fishing at night several times and have done really well. The only problem I have is that I have done really well fishing Erie eyes during the daytime and I don't like being out on the water at night. It is a darn good fishery though. The key is to be very quiet, anchor in shallow and cast to the deeper water.

6. Macs13

Macs13

It is beautiful out there. I'm not fortunate to live way out in the country, so the experience of the big sky, shooting stars, etc is a real treat. I've said many times that if I don't have anything better to do than sleep, I might as well hit the water.

7. Macs13

Macs13

8. cuda man

cuda man

You were probably fishing under the fish , at night run your baits high 5-10 down , around October I’ll start night bite , not many people around here do it but Huron Ohio is about as bad as fishing during the day

9. amcfall

amcfall

Nice pics! I agree even if the fishing sucks being out on the water beats sitting on the couch any day!

Never fished that late but the last few hours before sunset have been good for us (often we go out for just a few hours Friday night after work to decompress). After dark I have also heard shallow up the bait, and often go closer to shore.

jstfish48162 and Macs13 like this.
  10. Macs13

Macs13

I did figure that out after a little while. They were marking very high on my Lowrance, just as you described. Even bringing everything up didn't salvage it, though. The amount of free floating grass was unbelievable.

cuda man likes this.
  11. the roofer

the roofer

If u ever hit the midnight run again ..14’ ..the rock wall by sterling with cranks..buddy across from us passed away last year...that’s the only fishing he ever did..I miss him this year..he had a 14’ tin can...he loved fishing that area and always slammed them

12. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I used to cast Lake St Clair after dark and did very well on walleye. 30 minutes before dark 3/4 of the boats would leave to hit the dock before dark, the rest left just before dark. Didn't take long to find a spot that we always did good on them, catching nice sized walleye every couple casts. Could only imagine what you could do on Erie in the right place.

Talked to a guy from Saginaw Bay once, he said all they did was troll, I told him why not cast ? He said lot of water to cover, I said there has to be spots you usually do good at, he said there was. I told him to anchor up there 30 minutes before dark and cast into the night. He called a few days later and said he had a blast catching walleye casting jig and twisters, and was defintely going to do it again.

12riverfish likes this.
  13. the roofer

the roofer

That’s a cool report..I tried trolling into the dark on Erie till 11 pm..maybe the the key is to just shut down the motor and be quiet..

14. cuda man

cuda man

A lot of people make a run ‍♀️ to the shallow area for the night bite including me but a few years ago in Huron Ohio me and my buddy were in a traffic jam and got piss with all the boat traffic so we went back to we’re we caught fish during daylight hours, 28fow and slammed them by just running them shallow, the rock wall can be hot at times

6667supersport likes this.
  15. cuda man

cuda man

When the water cools down , get a couple of p10 , blue and chrome, 30 behind the boards and you will slam them