close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

77/44 ammo choice

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Hunter1457, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Hunter1457

Hunter1457

I drew Baraga 1st hunt and will be hunting over bait from 25-50 yards at most. I really like my ruger 44 mag rifle with 2-7 vx1. I have some 305 grain HSM hard cast 'bear loads", but was also considering 280 or 300 grain swift A frame loads for the rifle.It shoots 240 xtp great but I was thinking a little heavier and a little stronger bullet might be better. Any thoughts on 44 carbine bullet choice?

I have a marlin 336 in 35 Remington with buffalo bore loads and my 3006 that shoots great with Barnes ttsx 180's so I can certainly go bigger if I want to.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

The 44 mag rifle should do fine, if you like it better. I would lean towards the WFN 'hardcast'. As mentioned, shots are very close, precise placement should be the norm. If you have plenty of time, wind right etc, I would give thought to a base of the neck shot. With that shot, zero tracking is required.

Now if the bear is nervously walking by, that's not the time to fool around. Those other rounds mentioned would be a bit better, as usual, good shot placement 'Trumps' relatively minor differences in cartridges.

3. red wolf

red wolf

No issues with 44 mag buffalo bore 270gr jfn .. It will stop any black bear and shoots great.