75th bTB Positive Cattle Herd Found, This Time Presque Isle County

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, May 3, 2019.

1. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Btb has been around much longer than that deer in '94 but it really doesn't matter as this is still a real disaster for the rancher and for the industry. It is also a tragedy that the deer usually get blamed for the transmission. The sad thing is that the deer herd could be wiped out, as some agency folks and non hunters want, and Btb could still exist.

stickbow shooter likes this.

2. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Well if they wiped out the deer and bTB still existed would that mean it wasn't the deer spreading it in the first place???:hide::hide::bonk:

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

The first TB deer was found in 1975.

It's easy to look at this situation and say, we did this....and bTB is still there.

But the real Question should be, How far would it have spread if we didn't do it?

I think it would be nearly, if not state wide now, almost 25 years later.

I see it as a success.

GVDocHoliday and motdean like this.
  4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Where did the bacteria come from in the first place? My guess, the cattle passed it to the deer first, then the deer, being more "mobile" , spread it. Is that correct?

5. swampbuck

swampbuck

Yes, that's why it's called Bovine TB. It jumped the species barrier (if there was one) to deer. And humans are also succeptable to it.

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The problem is all the cattle in the NELP probably have latent bTB. All it takes is a stressor to change it from latent to active bTB like a hard winter or even transportation. The best course of action is transport all cattle from the MAZ directly to slaughter. Many dairy operations have gone by the wayside because farmers in the area know this.

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The chronology of bovine TB since 1975 is a worth while read.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I can recall "notices" in the hunting digest, back in the '60's about "sick" deer. It's been too long and that is about all I can remember. Does anyone else recall that?

9. jatc

jatc

Well if all the cattle have latent TB, then the prudent thing to do is assume all the deer probably do too.

Sounds like all deer north of US-10 should just be eradicated from the NLP. Anybody not on board with this logic is just being selfish and needs to step up to the plate and do what is right for our future generations.......

10. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

So... why not just raise cattle elsewhere?

11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

You do realize that one more case of bTB this year in the MAZ could trigger the entire state of Michigan to lose its TB free status? That would have wide ranging consequences. There are a lot of days left this year for the USDA to act on their threat.

Latent bTB is in a good portion of the human population too. In the NELP per the USDA.

12. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Is that only true for NELP or all the places in Michigan where bTB has been found in both beef dairy and roping cattle?

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I can not say. The statements were made during the last two bTB meetings I attended by the MDARD. Rogers City for the announcement of the zoning order and Allis Twp hall on 3 mile road meeting on local bTB. If I can make it to the Wilson Twp bTB meeting I’ll ask where latent bTB is present. I’m sure if you get ahold of the head veterinarian for MDARD you can find it out with a simple phone call.

At one time ~1/3 of all cattle in Alpena and Alcona county had bTB. Cattle farmers introduced it into the environment now its self sustaining.