"700 Club"

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by QDMAMAN, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Some wonder why not just measure antler, not the air between the antlers. I think it's Buckmasters that does not include the inside spread in the antler score.

As to why...this is what the committee decided when the formal scoring rules were established by B & C. Count the air between the antlers but subtract any difference between the 2 sides.

L & O

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. G20man

G20man Banned

Ok but why do they use the spread measurement. Why? Why? Why? LoL

Maybe there is no reason. Maybe to give more credit to wide bucks or to short beam length.

Again I have no issue with the system just wondering why they use spread at all.

3. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

All other measurements being equal between the 2...take a buck with a 14 inch inside spread, and a buck with a 20 inch inside spread, and see which one looks bigger and more impressive...it would be no contest. I think spread should definitely count.

bowhunter1 and Wild Thing like this.
  4. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

If all other measurements are equal, that means the main beams too, right ?
    If the main beams are equal and the difference in spread is 6" this must mean.................
    Get it now ?
    That's why 1 organization does not measure the air between the antlers. They measure antlers only with no deductions.

L & O

5. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Yeah I get what youre trying to say, they both have the same inches of antler, got that before what I said too. Doesnt change the fact that the one with a 20 inch spread will appear much bigger than the one with a 14 inch spread though.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Not true from what I've seen. Guys seem to be much more likely to over guess the score of a tall, narrow rack compared to the wide, standard height rack. Think back to the past 10 years where someone has a trail camera of a good buck and ask for a guess on its score.

L & O

7. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

Yep, I thought for sure this one would go low 140s. Ended up 127 with a couple inches broken off 20180903_125840.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. hunterrep

hunterrep

Yes

9. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Imagine shooting a buck on the opener and texting a group text to the entire hunting party that you just shot a "GIANT" and walking up on a 100"+ 7point. I've killed 3 bucks over 140" and when I shot I was positive it could be the biggest buck I've killed to date. These guns that let you shoot quick at 100+ yards on shooting lanes are a double edge swords. First buck I've killed in 13 years and I'm not unhappy I killed him he's a 3.5 year old but wow did I under judge him by about 40" lol....I'm a little disgruntled with myself over the hasty quick decision and not taking my time to evaluate appropriately. I used to smirk at people that told me how big a class buck they killed and then see it and it isn't close. I won't be doing that anymore!

10. mich buckmaster

mich buckmaster

I have killed many big bucks and I STILL do this ALL THE TIME!!!

11. Dish7

Dish7

Spread is overrated...JMO, lol.

12. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

hunterrep

13. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Correct. Even a spike gets 4 mass measurement credits.

Wild Thing likes this.
  14. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I think you're right on the money with trail cam pics - the tall narrow rack does seem more difficult to estimate, maybe because they're not as common.

With live in the field estimates there's a high probability of over estimating size. A combination I suspect of trying to process many different things in a brief period of time once a good buck is sighted, plus the natural human tendency to overestimate.

We all have a bent towards seeing what we want to see. As an illustration, go to a weekend baseball tournament of upper tier players and ask a dad how hard his son is throwing. Whatever velocity he states, subtract 8-10 mph and you'll be in the ball park of actual fastball velocity. In coaches circles we refer to this dynamic as "dad minus 8".

15. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

You need to work on your reading comprehension. ;):)