7 day trip to Silver Lake Area

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by john lay, Jun 11, 2020.

1. john lay

john lay

All,
    Im looking for some pointers for some successful fishing in Michigan.

Date of Trip: 6/28 - 7/2
    Boat Type: 17ft aluminum sea nymph (inland lakes only)
    Target species: Doesn't matter
    Number of people fishing: 3
    Location: Silver lake - this is where our cabin is located, Hamlin Lake (30 min), Big Star Lake (30 min)
    Rods & Reels : medium and light rods / reels for bass / crappie fishing
    Tackle: Lots of small plastic / jig type baits, some bass spinners, plastic worms, top water, and crankbaits
    Other: Trolling motor, fish finders, net, livewell

----Questions ----
    1. I've never fished in Michigan, so I'm not sure where you are on spawn's.... Where are you on the spawn?

2. What species should I target knowing the areas I'll be fishing? (Do you recommend a different lake besides the ones I listed?

3. Should I charter out on Lake Michigan?

4. Should I get some additional tackle to target a different species (Lake Trout, Walleye, Perch, etc)
    My main objective would be to catch some fish for dinner a couple of nights for a fish fry while camping. If I was able to catch enough to bring home and put in the freezer, that would be a nice bonus!

let me know and thank you for the help!

2. bapotter

bapotter

Spawn is late this year but it'll mostly over by the time you get here. Bass should be easy to find. Walleye will likely be spread out in the weeds, breaks, and deep basins. It might be tough to find a concentration and figure them out in a short period of time. Crappie will be near cabbage and outside weedlines and can be caught trolling or casting small jigs. Gills will be in the weedbeds and/or starting to suspend over deeper water.

Hamlin is a diverse fishery...known for good sized panfish. Silver Lake is smaller and bowl shaped. I don't know much about Big Star.

Charter on the big lake would be fun if you've never done that type of thing.

Good luck.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Hamlin is going to be your best bet. Fish early and late.

Fish around the weeds and keep an eye out for any kind of bait fish. There’s about every species of fish in Michigan in Hamlin.

Silver lake is small and hard to fish. Big star is a boating/skiing lake . Not much for fishing.

4. ETW

ETW

Wondering how your trip ended up. Did you do any good on Hamlin? We're going to be up there 6/15 through 6/20 with a charter out of Ludington and 4 days of trying to annoy the fish in Hamlin.

5. camdengizzard

camdengizzard

I'm headed up there this Thursday.

6. camdengizzard

camdengizzard

I bought some stuff to try the walleye at Hamlin. I have a downrigger system to get to them. Any recommended spots? Also, perch... What do I use to catch them from an artificial perspective and how deep? Same type of bait as crappie?

7. ETW

ETW

We bottom bounced for eyes along the western shore one day this last week (6/15 - 6/19) from the State Park up to and past the dunes in 15 - 30 FOW and the only thing we boated was my PB rock bass and a 4 inch perch. haha. Crawlers on one side and leeches on the other. I hear the Narrows is pretty decent but I think it pays off to get into deeper water this time of year. Surface temps were in the mid 60s. I had some pretty good interest in the spoons I was tossing for pike (classic red/white and 5 of diamonds daredevils 3/4 oz.) and we latched into some nice LM bass in the coves. You might run into a bunch of campers now that the SP is open for that so be advised. Good luck!