6th Street Dam removal updates?

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by speydude26, Mar 24, 2018.

1. speydude26

speydude26

Just curious if anyone had any new information regarding 6th street being removed. I know some fellow anglers are not thrilled at it being removed, but I for one can't wait. I saw what happened when they tore the eyesore Lyons dam out, fishing upstream improved drastically. Especially seeing what is "planned" for the removal of 6th street, should be a veritable playground for river anglers.

Last I heard in addition to funding issues, some snuffbox mussels were found downstream of the dam and were another roadblock to them starting the removal process...sometime in 2019 I heard.

Any help would be great! Tight lines folks.

2. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

:Welcome:welcome to Michigan sportsman spey dude welcome:Welcome::woohoo1:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018

3. BMARKS

BMARKS

i have no updates but have been trying to follow this. i will say that when i looked at the plans they have for how they want it to look. man that would be awesome for anglers. not only would it stop the blatant snagging that happens there. but it would make many more runs and holes to be fished. and disperse anglers a little. not to mention what it will do for the upper river tributaries.

rugbym10sflyu, Benz, Smada962 and 5 others like this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23

Lol. And where is it that you fish that there isnt a few bad apples. There are more fish caught legit not lined at 6th st day in amd out than anywjere in the state. Nobody knows what will happen if or when they pull ot. Ill say this though it will not hold fish. It will be shallow. Behind there rocks will be sand and the fish will just fly upstream. So to all those that enjoy no crowds upstream. Get ready lol. The smell in the summer will be extreme. It isnt like they just said one day. Hey lets throw up a series of dams right here. There were water level issues. Both low and hi. Id bet by both your posts you want more fly only water as well.

Oldgrandman likes this.
  5. BMARKS

BMARKS

Are you talking to me with this? and if so i think you are way off base. i dont know how it will end up, i just said when i look at the plans of how they want it to look. the plans i saw were more of a series of rock dams and pools below with some rapids. if that is what they make happen i sure as heck think that it will disperse anglers and make it harder for unsporting fisherman. and having deeper pools below riffles would hold fish... i could care less about the upstream fishing or crowds. and i personally do not think that any water should be flies only. so i dont know where you came up with that... out of curiosity.. why did you say that about flies only? what did it have to do with anything?... it sounds to me like you own a boat and fish the grand and are bummed that you wont be able to get up there anymore. and i feel for you that would suck. but to start throwing things out like you know what will happen i think is a little crazy.

Smada962, unclecrash and itchn2fish like this.
  6. BMARKS

BMARKS

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/grand_river_restoration_advoca.html
    this is what i saw as far as the plans for what they want it to look like. you dont think that all of those separate pools and runs would make for awesome fishing. instead of standing below a dam with 100 other guys. i mean again i dont know if it will end up being what they say. but like i said the first time. if it ends up like this i think it will be a good thing for fisherman.

itchn2fish likes this.
  7. Riverdude

Riverdude

Been fishing there 25 yrs. and never seen blatant snagging. Any dam area where fish are concentrated foul hooling does occur, but I don't think it's a major problem.
    What bothers me most about the dam removal is this;
    The dam slows down the migration and concentrates the fish, making them much easier to catch. Am i being selfish here? You betcha. But.
    How many places in the entire U.S can you name that have world class fishing in a downtown, inner city area.
    6th street is easily accessible to inner city folks, some with no boat, no car, and very little money. I hate to see this taken from them as the fish will just blow right on thru there without the dam. I just don't want to see this changed and think it is unfair.

8. Riverdude

Riverdude

Bmarks, I am not buying the structure in the river thing. The fish will have no reason to stop in town and just disappear into the slow water tween GR and Lansing. And what will the kayakers get. A class 1 rapids that drops 10 feet in a mile. Whoopie.

Treven, Sparky23 and Trout King like this.
  9. BMARKS

BMARKS

If you havent seen blatant snagging at 6th street your eyes are not open. im not accusing anyone here, or saying everyone that fishes there is snagging. again weather or not the outcome is what they are saying i do not know. but it looked to me like many areas for fish to stack up rather than just one. i mean they still have to navigate the rapids and the smaller falls. fish can easily get over homestead dam on the betsie, but low and behold they stack up like crazy still. i may be wrong. just giving an opinion as to what i think. i think that if it does come out looking like they say, then the fishing will be just as good as ever. i dont give a rip about kayaking.

Benz, Drisc13, Smada962 and 2 others like this.
  10. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I hope they remove the silt behind the dam before removing the dam itself, otherwise all the rocks will get buried.

Oldgrandman and itchn2fish like this.
  11. Trout King

Trout King

Might be a bit off thinking dam removal will benefit tribs upriver. There is alreadg massive pressure, but riparian owners don't always like the trash and trails through their yards. Bank erosion is getting to be a issue. Where are the folks from 6th street going next?

itchn2fish likes this.
  12. BMARKS

BMARKS

I
    I guess I was only referring to number of fish. Land owners should have their property properly marked. Trespassing is always an issue on any trout steam. But my hope would be that if it goes as the pictures imply, because that is my only point off reference, I would think the guys from sixth street will fish relatively close to where they always have. Just not all together right below the Damn. Not trying to start anything or claiming to be an expert. I simply said if it ends up like the plans say. I think it would be better.

357Maximum and itchn2fish like this.
  13. Riverdude

Riverdude

Where they gonna stack up when the dams gone? The next dam 40 miles upstream. A few rocks in the river won't stop the fish. Your kidding right? I don't give a rip about kayakers either, but somehow all 10 of them lobbied to get the dam removed and they won. Hows that happen?

Oldgrandman and Sparky23 like this.
  14. BMARKS

BMARKS

If you look at the link i posted with the pics it shows a series of rapids with pools below. They woulda stack up in the pools below the rapids to rest before they push up. I mean none of them look easier to pass than the current ladder.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Mike and itchn2fish like this.
  15. Riverdude

Riverdude

Pics? Any one believe thers gonna be rapids? Are there rapids on the Mo? How bout the big Manna? I can draw lots of rapids on paper.