57 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by lenray, Nov 22, 2020.

1. lenray

lenray

He was shot in Dallas.....I was 18--sad day for our Nation..........................

DanSS26, anagranite and fishmark like this.
  2. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

I was 5 yo, remember watching it all on TV, getting Budweiser for my Great Grandma Paris, who said Sitting Bull was her BF

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

What I remember is being in last hour freshman science class and our principal came on the PA to make the announcement just before school getting out. I don't think that I knew he had died until later during basketball practice or maybe it was when I got home. Not sure.
    Being raised in a small, rural & Protestant area, JFK was not popular in my community when he got elected. The Cuban missle crisis changed all that.

L & O

OH-YEAH!!! and Ieatshrooms like this.
  4. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

My fist remembered memory. Watching the aftermath on Television. I was 2 years and sixth months old.

We just moved into a new home and watched it on a 12 inch red T.V. and eating donuts.

At that age I couldn't understand the gravity, tragedy and sadness of it. But it sure cemented in my memory.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Ieatshrooms likes this.
  5. stickman1978

stickman1978

Might have been the first time I saw my mother cry for what I thought was no reason, she was watching on TV when we had just come in from playing in the front yard.

6. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I was in high school and it was early afternoon as I changed classes to my Bio class one of the girls in the office came out and told me about it. I went on to class and told the teacher Mr. Dagly ab.out it. He went to the office and came back and told the rest of the class.

7. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

What a paradigm shifting moment for the United States.

8. capper

capper Premium Member

I was at work, reading gas meters on Harrison st. In Monroe,Mi. At the time- most meters were still inside the house and I remember a lot of the folks were crying when they answered the door.
    Truly- a sad time in our history.

9. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

I was in third grade. The principle came to the classroom and told the teacher, then came on the PA to make the announcement. The teacher ended instruction and talked about it for a bit. School ended a little early that day.

10. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

I was in seventh grade. Just getting on the bus to leave school. Remember it well.

11. jimbo

jimbo

25 years ago today my wife and I were at the big house. Ohio couldnt stop Tim B.
    and eddie george couldnt find 2nd gear

12. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

I was 16 on a bus headed towards joining my brother and his friend where they worked for a weekend of deer hunting outside of Cheboygan. I believe he was shot after I got on the bus because while driving down Fort St, when people got on, some were crying and others gave me weird looks when they saw the cased rife. I couldn't figure out what was going on until entering my brothers work place his friend Herb told me Kennedy had been killed. Sad day for the country and his deaths repercussions would damage it for many years.

FullQuiver likes this.
  13. Eric Bee

Eric Bee

All those years have past and we still don't have all the facts regarding the shooting. All the documents still have not been de-classified

14. DanSS26

DanSS26

I was around, but don't remember it. I was probably filling a diaper when the news broke. But I grew up hearing the stories.
    Dad woke up for work (afternoon shift) and mom told him the president had been shot in the head. Dad asked what kind of gun, mom said .06 and dad said he's dead. Mom was pissed at him.

As a young child I never wanted to be president or any type of leader. Because they always got killed. JFK, RFK, MLK, MX, and other civil rights leaders. Then LBJ died when I was 9, and I remember dad saying there are now former presidents alive.

15. bobcolenso

bobcolenso Premium Member

Yes, I was in 4th grade then. A very sad day.

I might have to watch PT-109 again. It's been quite a few years.

(Check out my signature).