52pt at Jerome Country Market

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by hplayer13, Oct 6, 2020.

1. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Yes he does , to an obsession. Each deer is totally separate. Not the best for profits , but his close clientele (returns with family) makes the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

2. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

It is the BIG operations that run things more efficiently. They just have to do things a certain way to keep up and remain profitable. A smaller operation can do it like @kisherfisher is saying. I have a couple buddies who did it for a few years and they did it the same way. They ended up stopping though because it took up ALL of their time, but they made good money and had everything separate. That was their whole point in starting it, to NOT do it the way so many others do.

People can argue it all they want, because they don't wanna believe it, but it is a fact.

sparky18181 and kisherfisher like this.

3. jiggin is livin

To add though. I have some buddies that just drop their deer off to processors these days and I haven't had anything bad from them or heard anything negative. So it isn't like it is a terrible thing.

I just personally enjoy playing around and making different things. I don't trust anyone to do a good enough job, so I do it. I wouldn't be totally opposed to paying someone else, if it ever came to that for some reason.

DM90 likes this.
  4. hypox

hypox

I know of a big place that advertises you get your own deer back. I tried to drop a deer off and asked an employee about it. They said they grind the burger in bulk and it isn't your own meat. I asked the manager and they agreed. What a joke. I've done my own since. I think this is much, much more common than people think.

FREEPOP and jiggin is livin like this.
  5. ryan-b

ryan-b

Ive cut deer for two different processors. Only time your not getting your own deers meat back is if it’s sticks, hotdogs or brats. It is not economical to run the mixers for each individual guy getting cheese brats made so it’s batched.

6. jiggin is livin

Exactly. It makes sense to do it that way.

It is also one of the main reasons I prefer not to have someone make those things for me.

7. hplayer13

hplayer13

Kinda funny, somebody third hand confirmed it wasn’t a wild deer but guys still arguing about processing

aacosta and Ieatshrooms like this.
  8. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

My entire life I've been eating meat (beef, pork, chicken, sausage, etc.) that was processed commercially. I have zero concern about eating venison that has been processed by those same businesses.

9. monczunski

monczunski

hey uncle bill, will billy cut up my deer for me if i call him? thanks.

10. jiggin is livin

So have I. That is what is so special about hunting to me. I can easily process it 100% myself and KNOW what my family is putting into their bodies.

But, like I said, if I suddenly got SUPER lazy or injured to where I couldn't do it myself I wouldn't sweat it too much. There is just simply no excuse for me to pay someone else to do something as easy and enjoyable as taking care of the animal that I killed for food.

DanSS26 and MichiFishy like this.
  11. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

As long as it is tagged and their price starts at $75.00.Best to call late afternoon.

12. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

IMO, if you want your deer done in just steaks and burger (regular cut) Jerome is good. But their snack sticks are not good to me. I wouldn’t waste my money. Country Smokehouse makes them way better in my opinion.

13. Bill
    Does he use beetles for euro mounts and if so can he do an elk. Thanks.

14. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Hard to top the Smokehouse. Eaten many pounds of their smoked meats. Maybe they vacuum seal now, but with my last deer there they did not. I prefer that method so only pruchased smoke meats from them for a few years. Great owners.
    From the letter posted to their website, they are still not able to open after the fire from about 1 year ago.
    Like all of the other processors, you will get your burger, steak & roast from your deer at the Smokehouse. Items like brats, salami, sausage. stixs, etc. will be batched. That is a concern for some, those people should skip the smoked meats altogether or do their own.
    The smoked meats sold at their store come from farm raised deer, elk, bison, etc.

L & O

U of M Fan likes this.
  15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Has this been confirmed by the hunter ?

L & O

jakeo and kisherfisher like this.