5/16 SSP Report

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by fishin4eyes, May 16, 2018 at 2:28 PM.

1. fishin4eyes

fishin4eyes

Pulled a 2 man limit in just over 2 hours. Ran harnesses off 2 oz. bottom bouncers. Fished mostly in 18 - 19 FOW pretty much straight out from the channel, just a touch south. SOG was 1.2 - 1.4 mph.
    Color didn't seem to matter as all 6 lines picked up fish. Be careful out there as we saw quite a bit of floating debris. A spotter today was helpful...

2. dougf1

dougf1

We did the same today as well. Did you pick up a lot of silver bass?

3. fishin4eyes

fishin4eyes

Picked up a dozen or so silvers & one 7" perch...

4. Pissnroff

Pissnroff

Two man limit plus 4 when we were pulling in. Those got the stay of execution. Some silvers no sheepshead. Most of the fish were in 18-20. 1.2 - 1-4. Copper spinners. Yeah lots of sticks and stuff. All in all a fine day. So much better than work.

5. trackinwalleye

trackinwalleye

how was the water clarity also i seen the wind was out of the east at about 8 how were the waves

6. jim222lansing

jim222lansing

7. Pissnroff

Pissnroff

Started with 1-2 ft. Settled down to less then ones where I was. Very comfortable

8. Fishin chip

Fishin chip

Nice. Kinda getting tired of the river.

9. Pissnroff

Pissnroff

Water clarity was ok. A little bit muddy but, not bad enough to stop the toothy devils from finding my hooks. Another hint to playing hooky from work is to take the boss with you. Mine has a credit card. SWEET!!

10. FishManDan

FishManDan

Jim check your pm

11. WallyKiller

WallyKiller

Nice! I was out there today as well. We only pulled one. What time did you get on the water?

12. fishin4eyes

fishin4eyes

WallyKiller, we started setting lines about 7:30am....

13. Pissnroff

Pissnroff

Started out of sap yesterday about 8:30. Set lines by 9:00. It took about an hour to find the fish but after that it was nonstop. I don’t fish in a pack. There’s lots of lake out there

14. Anas rubripes

Anas rubripes

We fished in front of SSP last night, lines in the water from about 6:30 til dusk. By the time we finished our 2 man limit, my GPS looked like we'd been blowing donuts in a snow covered parking lot for a couple hours. Between floating junk, the white bass, and the walleye, we couldn't even keep 4 lines in the water so we dialed it back to 2 well fished rods off the corners w/o boards.

Drug 2 oz bottom bouncers around in 18' +/-. By chance we ended up fishing with a gold harness and a copper/purple harness, but I think they would have hit anything. We caught more walleye and fewer white bass by using a whole worm and going a little faster. When we tried rationing half worms or fell below 1.5 SOG, we caught white bass. I didn't really want to fish through all the junk, but there were a lot of fish sitting right underneath that current swirl, so we kept blowing erratically shaped donuts through it. When we were in it, it was crazy. When we left it, things slowed down. Had a ton of fun, glad I bailed on work to go.

Lots of floating debris out there right now. A second set of eyes was helpful for spotting icebergs. Good luck. Be safe. Have fun!

Brasstap and Willie Tippit like this.
  15. Willie Tippit

Willie Tippit

Fish are in the muddier water.. Last week I could'nt buy a bite in cleaner water they seem to like to suspend in the muddy water...Good Luck