45 question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by AllFowledup2, Jul 12, 2019.

1. AllFowledup2

AllFowledup2

20190712_110932.jpg
    First time reloading pistol rounds. Notice the 185 Hornady XTP in the neck of the case, several have bulges where the round is.
    These have been crimped.
    Not sure why the case bulged like that. Any help on this? Have not fired one due to rupture or extraction/loading issues.
    Cases are once fired American Ammunition.

Attached Files:

2. Jiw275

Jiw275

A slight bulge is normal. Have you case gauged the cartridge? If you don’ have a case gauge, you can use the barrel for the check. Called the plunk test.

It is hard to tell how much you crimped the round. 45ACP has a slight taper crimp.

Good luck and be safe.

Gil Martin and Tilden Hunter like this.

3. jd4223

jd4223

Quit trying to cut corners(being cheap),buy brand new brass for reloading a high caliber round(,45) Is that American Eagle Ammo? If so,that's about the cheapest ammo on the market. Why do you think it's so cheap? Then add to the fact it's already been fired. Nothing against American Eagle Ammo for just everyday target shooting,but as far as reloading once shot...spend the extra cents for clean brass,especially in the higher calibers. If it's not American Eagle ammo,I would still buy new brass or lower the charge in the reload...just my 2 cents.

AllFowledup2 likes this.
  4. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Most likely the case is being resized more than the minimum needed. I also some times see this with .45-70 & 444 Marlin rounds. Nothing can be done about it, so live with it.

Seating the bullets less than straight can also cause this appearance. This is a problem, and can be corrected.

Perferator likes this.
  5. AllFowledup2

AllFowledup2

Thanks for the information. I have not had any issues with rifle reloads, the deformation of the 45 cases concerned me. Again, thank you.

6. AllFowledup2

AllFowledup2

Thanks. The straight seating seems to make sense, after flaring the case to accept the round. Thanks!!

7. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

The sizing die is squeezing the brass down more than necessary. It's nothing to worry about and has no effect on pressure as the brass blows back out to fit the chamber as soon as the powder charge lights before max pressure is reached. Assuming you have an appropriate load chain assembled, the ammo is completely safe to use.

I have seen this on several straight wall pistol cases, including 44 mag.

If it bothers you enough, get a different sizing die or return the one you have to the manufacturer and ask them to inspect / recut / replace it. The only thing overworking the brass like you're seeing will do is reduce brass life. You might not see the 'bulge' with a different brand of brass that has more springback after sizing.

There's no need to use fresh brass for reloads unless there is a defect like neck splits.

One thing that I always do with pistol brass before reloading though is to sort it by headstamp. It's a bit of a PIA but makes it run through a progressive press MUCH smoother.

8. AllFowledup2

AllFowledup2

Thank you for the information. I have reused rifle casings for a long time and follow what you do regarding the inspections.
    Thanks again!!

9. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

It depends. From time to time , I have noticed slight bulges after seating bullets in various resized cases. If one has carefully followed reloading practices then the bulges should not be a problem. I would test fire a few rounds and see how the rounds feed, fire and function.

I have been reloading since 1960 and have mostly used once-fired factory brass. Sorting brass by headstamp and source makes sense. My preference is to buy new brass only as a last resort. It depends what you prefer. All the best...
    Gil

10. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

45acp is one of, if not the easiest round to reload IMHO.

that being said. AMERC brass... I throw them out. I've reloaded 10s of thousands of 45s and will not reload that brass. splits, off-center flash holes (real bad), stepped cases... just not worth the effort. you do a lot of times see a slight "bulge" at the base of the bullet where its sitting in the case, but that's about it. this seems a bit more than that, but its hard to tell from the picture.

I'd download them and find other brass to use. its plentiful and not expensive. unfortunately, my great brass guy no longer sells brass (boo, his stuff was always top notch). I have about 3-4k 45acp cases, and can reload them so many times in 45, its crazy. ultra low failure rate opposed to other calibers.

11. Perferator

Perferator

In my early days of handloading the 45-70 I experienced what a gunsmith called “overworking” the brass caused by full length resizing. Later on I learned to back off on that and had good life expectancy from the cases.

I’ll be trying the .45acp soon enough. Good topic.

AllFowledup2 likes this.
  12. fivegunner

fivegunner

Looks like the setting of your reloading dies is off, a easy fix . I live in Lowell if you need some help pm me with your phone #

AllFowledup2 likes this.