44 Magnum Reloading-Rifle

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Chappy410, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Chappy410

Chappy410

Is anyone reloading for the 44magnum rifle using Hornady 225FTX bullets? If so, any information you could provide would be appreciated, accuracy, effectiveness on deer, etc.
    Thanks for any information you can provide.

Thom

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I have done a lot of testing with it in my ruger lever gun. Effective on deer but to me not worth the price and custom brass vs just using a nosler or hornady hollowpoint.

3. Jim..47

Jim..47

Killing deer does not require high end bullets, nor are they always the most accurate or more accurate then cheaper bullets.

4. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

Seriously I've had 100% success with Hornady jhp 240 GR. Out to 120 yards. Pass through good blood trail. Non pass through drt. In the 44 240 gr is most utilized for a reason. In the 30-30 the pointy bullets may be worth it for the added range and accuracy and the 30-30s are 165 gr.

amon likes this.
  5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

My post was in reference to the 225 FTX which is significantly differnet than the xtp. I am currently using 240 xtps as they are more cost effective and work just as well.

6. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

Right, sorry I meant that to be a reply to Chappy 410 I'm in total agreement on the xtps.

7. bogie

bogie

I'm fairly familiar with the bullets. Have shot them through three rifles. Tc omega: phenomenal accuracy over 105gr FFF. Ruger 44 carbine (1974ish) doesn't really care for them, I think the twist rate is a little slow? Can't remember exactly. I haven't spent a bunch of time making a load, but the first rounds I was working up didn't seem particularly promising. Rossi 92 20" barrel liked them better than the carbine, but I haven't spent much time working this yet either. In initial testing they aren't better than a bulk bag of Winchester sp I picked up.

Haven't seen field performance yet.

I'm interested in your findings though.

8. bogie

bogie

I'm fairly familiar with the bullets. Have shot them through three rifles. Tc omega: phenomenal accuracy over 105gr FFF. Ruger 44 carbine (1974ish) doesn't really care for them, I think the twist rate is a little slow? Can't remember exactly. I haven't spent a bunch of time making a load, but the first rounds I was working up didn't seem particularly promising. Rossi 92 20" barrel liked them better than the carbine, but I haven't spent much time working this yet either. In initial testing they aren't better than a bulk bag of Winchester sp I picked up.

Haven't seen field performance yet.

I'm interested in your findings though.

9. Jumbo

Jumbo

I'm using them now, in a Ruger Carbine,
    I'm using H-110 & follow what the book says.
    Trim your cases, & overall length & powder charge, I used Large pistol primers, no mag primers.
    Safety first & foremost.
    I took a big 10 last year at 75 yds. Using FTX & my load, it works for me.
    Next best is the. XTP in 240gr.
    Have some 200 XTP's , that's next to work up.
    Be safe. Jumbo Out !

Gone Coastal likes this.
  10. Masterblaster1

Masterblaster1

I have had best accuracy results in my
    44 carbine with the sorta new alliant power pro 300mp. Better than H-110 and accurate no 9 accuracy wise at 100 yards in my gun. Believe it or not it gives me around 2 inch groups at 100 yards, which is the best this gun has ever done.

Gone Coastal likes this.
  11. Jumbo

Jumbo

It's the season to be working up loads.
    The recoil is stiffer, lighter clothing, summer time.
    Going to have to stick with last years load, spouse has medical issues, that need attention.
    Use your book & work them up
    Jumbo Out

Gone Coastal likes this.
  12. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

I may try those powders but I'm currently getting that kind of accuracy out to 125 yards with 23/24 gr. H 110 - 240 GR Hornady with my Marlin.

Jumbo likes this.
  13. Jumbo

Jumbo

I'm right in the ball park, same as yours, I took the 10pt. @ 75yds. Down hill, with a .225 Hornady FXT in the above load.
    And it WORKED :woohoo1:

Gone Coastal likes this.
  14. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

That is cool. My farthest with the 44 was 110 yds. Two holes =drt. Have had 100% recovery so far w the lever Marlin.

15. Masterblaster1

Masterblaster1

Yep nothing wrong with h-110.. I have used it too. Just better accuracy out of my gun with power pro 300. I use Nosler 240 grain soft points

Gone Coastal and Jumbo like this.