.44 Mag round recommendation

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by donnelj, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Whopper 24

Whopper 24

I think I’m x4 for Bear creeks.... however immediate availability might be an Issue. Last I heard he was 6 weeks behind on production. Very accurate, clover leaf group at 100 out of my scout

2. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

I had a big hole on a smaller deer.
    Nosler 240 gr HP handload--23 or so gr 296 w/ HEAVY crimp.

3. tubejig

tubejig

I ordered from bear creek back in august, and if i remember correctly it was around a 5 week delivery at the time. Though things are different now. I'm sure they are farther behind.

4. TheCrawdad

TheCrawdad Premium Member

I bought a CVA scout 44 mag package for my kids to use. I've tried several different bullets but I'm still not impressed with the accuracy of this rifle/scope combo. The cheap soft tip Federals seem to group the best out of it, but still print about a 3 or 4 inch group at 100 yds. Maybe the scope is the problem? I guess I'll have to spend some time with it in the off season.

5. fishnpbr

fishnpbr

I bought a new Ruger M77/44 late this summer. Finding ammo was a challenge for sure. I got raped price wise for what ammo I did find on line when shipping was added.

I shot Winchester 240 gr JSP, Fiocchi Extrema 240 gr XTP, and Federal Premium 280 gr Swift A Frame. It shot all 3 with more than acceptable 100 yd minute of dead deer accuracy. I have no experience with 44 mag bullet terminal performance on deer.

After watching a lot of YouTube stuff with regards to bullet tests with ballistic gel, water jugs, and whitetail kill shots, plus my own experiences with decades of rifle and muzzle-loader kills, and many more opinions on various forums I decided to hunt with the plain jane 240 gr JSP. Now I just need a cooperating test deer.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  6. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Plain old Winchester white box 240 gr soft points have worked great for me, and many others. Cheap, accurate, always pass through, even both shoulders, good blood trails, and never had one go over 40 yards yet. What more could I ask for in a deer bullet? I use them out of a CVA Hunter, 1.5 inch groups at 100.

kcud rellik and fishnpbr like this.