40 year old .22 bullets

Discussion in 'RimFire Guns' started by Wyandotte, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Wyandotte

Wyandotte

I'm thinking this may be the best thread to post my query.

So we were going thru some boxes. Found a couple of boxes of .22 rimfire bullets that have to be at least 40 years old. My uncle says he used to have a Marlin rifle when he was 18 or so. And now he's 62. He figures they must of been bought way back then. From what he says, it's something that just got moved around thru the years. These are in a box that was buried under other junk in an unheated garage the last 8-10 years.

So what to do with these?
    No one in the family hunts. Strictly fishing. I'm thinking we should not just give them to someone to use. I may be wrong about that of course. And I'm thinking they should not just get tossed in the trash. Best way to dispose of properly?

Thanks.

2. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

It depends. Find someone who has .22 rifle or handgun and give them to them. My local gun club accepts ammo for safe disposal as a public service. Some police departments may accept unwanted ammo from citizens. I would not throw live ammo in the trash. All the best...
    Gil

3. -db-

-db-

If they're clean/uncorroded, they're fine. Age alone doesn't ruin ammo. Give 'em to a shooter.

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  4. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

My thoughts too. In the Army we opened ammo cans that had date stamps from WW2. If the seal on the box was good and there was no corrosion, they'd feed through a machine gun like last year's ammo.

I store all of my ammo in military ammo cans for just this reason.

-db- likes this.
  5. laterilus

laterilus

We ran WW2 .50 cal through the M2’s last year flawless. I love the ammo cans for ammo storage to. Clean,neat,stackable and sealed tight. Always grab extra cans when I can.

6Speed likes this.
  6. LG1

LG1

How old are they? Full boxes? Old ammo collectors could be interested also

6Speed likes this.
  7. Wyandotte

Wyandotte

Thanks for the replies. I will give them to a small game hunter I know.

Petronius likes this.
  8. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Post a picture. Might be interested as collectors. What brand? Are they boxed?

9. Wyandotte

Wyandotte

Next time it gets a bit warmer, I'll go over there and ramble around the garage and get a picture. Thanks for the reply.

Lumberman likes this.
  10. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

As noted esp if boxes are full and not torn might be some collector interest. Ever go to a gun show?? Take em w/ you and maybe you can sell or work a swap..

11. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Going thru the hunting gear of my youngest brother after his death I found a box of 50 .22 shorts with the price still on it...….69 cents. I'm not sure how old they are, maybe pre to early 1970?