4 wheelers

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by skip7083, Feb 5, 2018.

1. dafuzz89

dafuzz89

Some years I have to ride at least halfway to get to the back 80 due to the two track flooding. On several occasions I have driven right past one of our larger food plots and the deer just watch me go buy. One time I drove past, saw a nice doe, parked the quad down the two track, walked back and shot the doe. I never ride right to my stand/blind

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. dafuzz89

dafuzz89

Before his death, my dad was the same. I would ride him to his stand and I would continue on. The old man shot a few deer using the uber ride

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

MISTURN3 and fishinfanatic19 like this.

3. tomahawkchop

tomahawkchop

They hear you coming and going.
    Normal practice or " they are conditioned"
    To it.......
    They know you are there doing something.

My goal is to do my best not to let them know I'm there.

4. M1Garand

M1Garand

I was sitting in one of our blinds this year and watching a young buck sparring with another I couldn't quite see yet. The neighbor put a pop up blind on the property line in the corner and about 4:30 rode it up the fence line to that pop up...all the deer I was watching scattered and I didn't see another the rest of the night. Happened a couple of times.

5. hunterrep

hunterrep

I think if you are going to advertise to deer that humans are entering their domain, a 4 wheeler is a very effective way to do this. I understand they are needed by some to hunt and I can appreciate that, but if given the choice, I think you are not doing yourself any favors using a quad to reach your hunting locations. Of course there are always exceptions, but I work way too hard at prepping for hunting season to count on an exception to fill my tags.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  6. don

don Premium Member

When dealing with mature animals, whether they see you walking or hear you riding you're pretty much screwed either way.
    Choose your method, play the wind, and just go hunt. A little luck is probably going to be as much a contributing factor as anything else you do in taking the animal you are pursuing, all things considered.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  7. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

^^^^^
    that and some prayers!

vsmorgantown, Swampdog467 and don like this.
  8. sNeAkYpEtE11

sNeAkYpEtE11

My property is a landing strip 10 acres, so ingress/egress will always be a problem for me. The property that borders me to the east has atv/snowmobile trails going right down the line. They ride quads and dirt bikes all spring/summer/fall and snowmobiles in the winter. I've been in the stand multiple times this past fall when they will drive down the line, deer (does and young bucks) are right under me and all they do is watch them go by. So my thought is to have my wife or son drop me off at the stand instead of walking. It may spook bucks that aren't regulars, but if I can keep resident does from being on edge, I think that's a step in the right direction. It's a pick your poison kind of deal imo

Swampdog467 likes this.
  9. sniper

sniper

We drive 4 wheelers and tractors around constantly throughout the year doing habitat stuff or whatever..One other neighbor as well...Come hunting season if it becomes silent with just foot walkers, that's when deer become spooky around us...I will admit we walk in on all mornings...We do not ruin the silent mornings..

jr28schalm and Scout 2 like this.
  10. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Noisy hunters and hunters moving at the wrong time (too late in the pm) scare more deer than the equipment does especially if that equipment (4 wheeler, tractor, pickup, jeep) is used on the property year around as long as that equipment is not used illegally to chase deer.

11. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I used to take my mule half way back and park it. Many times when I came out there were fresh deer tracks right beside it. A couple years ago I put sugar beets out at the end of the house and had a bag of hem in the back of the mule parked in my pole barn. I leave the door open most of the time. I went out to get my tractor and all hell broke loose. There were 2 or 3 deer in the pole barn eating beets out of the back of the mule. Almost had to change my drawers over that one