36 years hunting with my Dad

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by 6thMichCav, Nov 17, 2020.

1. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

First, this is not a “poor me” thread. My Dad is fine. I was just thinking that we have now hunted deer for 37 years together; he will be 79 in December and went out in the rain, wind, and snow the last two days with hardly a grumble. We didn’t see deer, but that’s another story.

I was just reflecting how nice it has been to have a valued hunting partner who:

-Is always on time.
    -Rarely, if ever forgets something important, and doesn’t mooch on me.
    -Knows our (public land) hunting areas without a map or a cellphone.
    -Gives me credit when I score, gives me advice when I fail, and never brags when he scores.
    -Doesn’t poach, lie, steal or trespass.
    -Gives me the pleasure of three hours of his company every time we go up north, even though he’s had a knee replacement, ear surgery, and whatever else.
    -Will haul, setup, and tear down a camper without assistance or the least expectation of reward—except I cook and do dishes and usually leave $50 without being asked.
    -Is convinced that the Remington 7600 in .30-06 is the greatest deer hunting implement known to man.

Okay, maybe he’s a little off on the last part. I’m just paying more attention every time we hunt, because it won’t last forever.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. ReeseHunter

ReeseHunter

Great post and a good perspective on life. I’ve been hunting with my dad for the better part of 30 years. Yesterday we shared a blind for the first time in many years. We had a great day even though we didn’t see a whole lot. I’m hoping my son will look back on our time like I do with my father.

3. fishx65

fishx65

Lost mine about 5 months ago. They don't make them like that anymore.

4. pleistocene

pleistocene

Hunted with my dad for over 40 years we never missed a opening day except one year with a heart attack passed at 90 years old 2016 the older guys are just different breed enjoy your time together the day will come .and by the way the 300 savage model 99rs is the greatest deer rifle ever made!!!

roger15055, MichMac, Waif and 2 others like this.
  5. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

Great story. Some of my favorite memories were hunting with my dad when I was young. He pretty much only went because he knew I loved it so much. Once I was old enough to take care of my little brother he didn't go any more.

He still loves hearing the stories and is getting a kick out of my daughter's escapades

6. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams

Sounds like your old man is a good dude & a tough mofo.

roger15055, Waif, cdacker and 3 others like this.
  7. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

This makes 27 in a row with my dad. It was in jeopardy 2013 when we was diagnosed with cancer in September. He got it cut out, chemo and recovered in time to hunt 11/15. He doesn’t venture far off the trail anymore but still manages to shoot deer still.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

8. bearnugent

bearnugent

Thank you for sharing. We were all introduced to hunting by someone special. People age and change...the way we hunt changes too. But those first memories of hunting with loved ones are ever lasting. Enjoy and embrace each and every opener, and the precious time spent with loved ones!

9. retired dundo

retired dundo

That is great that you had 37 years hunting with your dad.Hope you have many more and you both get a ice buck this year.Bet he has a hell of a trophy room would love to see it

roger15055 and 6thMichCav like this.
  10. retired dundo

retired dundo

So sorry for your loss but you will never lose all the great memories I know I didnt

roger15055 and Waif like this.
  11. Spartan88

Spartan88

Lost mine two years ago. I miss telling him about my hunting exploits, especially the two nice bucks I've taken since his passing. Cherish time with your dad's gang.

12. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

You all are very lucky. I lost mine 37 years ago before my kids ever got to know him. I still have 25 years of memories that I share with the kids and Grandkids.

13. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

My dad wasn't around when I was growing up, but my uncle's were. Glad they introduced me to hunting and have many great memories with them. In the late 70s lost both of them a year apart at the ages of 42 and 41, Dam lung cancer. But they are still with me.

14. Waif

Waif

Second season without being able to compare notes. Still not used to that...
    One of Dads hunting knives he made himself is at hand though.
    And the one he made me in the early seventies.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  15. MichMac

MichMac

Great post, enjoy every minute you have with your dad. I hunted in the UP with my dad for 26 years, fished 40+. He's been gone 15 years now, I'll really miss him next week when I walk by his old spot. I'm blessed to have nothing but good memories of him.