28% Rise in Deer License sales from 2019

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by d_rek, Oct 13, 2020.

1. d_rek

d_rek

Just heard on WDET/NPR that the DNR has sold 750,000 licenses already - a 28% increase from 2019. (Sorry, don’t have a link. If I find one I’ll update thread) due to pandemic.

What is everyone seeing for additional deer hunting activity and pressure this year? Do you think these are new hunters or returning? Or both? Do you think that increase is sustainable or will we see a huge drop in license sales for 2021?

Sent from d_mobile

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Not just deer, hunting in general

ROYAL OAK, Mich. (AP) - A renewed interest in hunting has dramatically increased since March when the coronavirus pandemic hit across the U.S., forcing businesses to shut down and people to stay home, according to statistics from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

So far, the DNR has issued 751,310 deer hunting licenses, compared to 584,802 licenses issued in 2019, The Daily Tribune reported. Many hunters also acquired multiple licenses for the various deer hunting seasons – antlerless, firearms, or archery.

A mid-September report from the Michigan DNR indicates that overall participation in deer hunting is up 26.97% over the same time as last year, and overall participation in hunting is up 121.61%.

Lumberman, d_rek and November Sunrise like this.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Just lots of folks still off work or working from home that have more time to hunt .IMO with liberal doe harvest this year many areas will have a very reduced number of deer .The areas that have a big surplus probably will still have one .Lack of permission to hunters is why the big surplus on their property came about .I look for one more year after this season with higher deer hunter numbers then a huge drop in 2022 .

4. hmrx

hmrx

Should be a doe slaughter with the new combo tag rules that allow for firearms doe anywhere in the lower. Those new rules were for a new lower number of hunters. That sure isn't the case. Looks like DNR messed up again. Should have left things alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

The DNR has found the answer to increase participation........pandemic!

6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Add the inability to attend games... Opens up many weekends

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It would sure be nice to know if hunters are buying licenses earlier or if hunters are returning after leaving the sport or new hunters. There is no doubt more free time has come in to play which could be from working from home or hunters on lay off. We probably won’t know until July or August of ‘21 when the deer harvest report is published.

I highly doubt we will see a harvest increase of 5% on antlerless deer.

bowhunter42 and d_rek like this.
  8. hmrx

hmrx

How could you possibly make that assertion. No one has a clue. Doe harvest has the potential to rise substantially and probably will. Only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

motdean likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Actually when you read through the proposal before implemented there was a pros and cons discussion of this change. No where did it mention that this was happening because if a "new lower number of hunter".

The reasoning was to make licenses and regulations less confusing. There were already many counties of the state were you could shoot antlerless during firearm season. Those areas did not see a rise in antlerless harvest when the change happened. This makes gun and archery season tags have the same rules for the same tag....kinda makes sense.

The con listed was possibilty of less licenses sold fearing people wouldn't buy antlerless tags. It seems they took a gamble and got it right with a huge increase in licenses.

Save your griping for when harvest totals come out and see the results. We have always had plenty of doe tags in this state. A guy has always been able to shoot as many deer as he would like. 50% of hunters are successful. I would be surprised by a huge change.

10. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

That will be interesting to see. I'm guessing we will see a 10+% increase in harvest.

In addition to more hunters afield we are also currently on target to have a higher than normal percentage of the corn harvest completed by firearm season. In the SLP that will make a difference on how visible deer are and how many get shot.

Botiz, miruss, MichiFishy and 4 others like this.
  11. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Could be a lot of us are just buying more licenses?
    Personally, I purchased 3 doe permits; 1 for Sanilac County (Early Antlerless), 1 Private Antlerless 487, 1 Public Antlerless 487. Throw in the Combo tags, and the total for me is 5 this year. A new record!
    <----<<<

12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I should have added that the highest percentage increase in antlerless kill will be in the EUP. My guess we will see an excess of 500% but 1,000% increase is not out of the question. The rest of the state will probably be in the 5% range.

13. Spartan88

Spartan88

The doe harvest in zone 3 might not be as high as some think.

Ieatshrooms likes this.
  14. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I usually buy 5 a year. This year only bought a combo

15. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I know I'm gonna go to the EUP and fill some doe tags. Anyone wanna truck pool? I can bring my flat bed car hauler.