220 Inch Whitetail Don Higgins

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dish7, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Dish7

Dish7

My comment was pretty much sarcasm. Then again, outside a couple of weekends in Sept, it is basically just two seasons now. Archery 10-1 through 11-14. Then any weapon 11-15 through Jan 1.
    I don't think many actually believe that bow season will be opened up to any weapon.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. Dish7

Dish7

No need to agree with everything any of these guys say or do. It's just like the multitude of habitat gurus out there. Use what you can apply to your situation.

3. sniper

sniper

Wow sounds like somebody’s been letting a lot of 1.5 yr olds go if you have that good of a stable of 2.5 yr olds. Just for a moment, think how good a 3.5 yr old euro mount would look on your wall. Patience grasshopper! I know it’s tough, I’ve been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

jeffm, snortwheeze, 1morebite and 4 others like this.
  4. CDN1

CDN1

The hardest part of growing bigger deer is the hunter evolution part. In the beginning it's the quest to kill a deer any deer, then the quest to kill a buck, then to kill 2 deer then 2 bucks etc etc. If we as hunters could get past the "I have to kill a buck to feel like I was successful" then we all might have an easier time with passing younger bucks. If Participation could be be its own success... but it's not that simple when all the hero shots of big deer show up all over Facebook. And in every commercial for a piece of hunting gear shows a successful hunter gripping a huge hunk of bone attached to a Bucks head. It's hard to not feel like you need to be that guy on the commercial. Other contributing factors are that we are watching guys that often times have unlimited amount of time they can dedicate to chasing big deer. Its hard for the average guy that gets weekends and one week of rifle season to try to accomplish the same level of success. We all head off to deer camp for gun season with 6 other guys that are all on the same quest for a buck it often lead to any buck will do.
    These are just some of the factor that contribute to lesser quality bucks add in land access, weather severity etc they all start to add up to younger age class deer harvests.

5. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Just incase u want to be like Don

Dish7 likes this.
  6. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

I agree. The last mature buck I shot during the rut a guy had him on trail cam 10 miles away a month earlier. Given this was public land and not highly managed private like that guy but I don't know how he can keep bucks on his property during the rut.

I also had one I was after get hit and killed by a truck. Some things you can't control.

sniper and vsmorgantown like this.
  7. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

I too live where I hunt. My situation is similar to yours. I rarely go hunting in early October and if I do it’s a field edge stand with easy access and PM hunt only. The past three years I haven’t gone hunting at all until October 20th or thereabouts. Great subject matter here and excellent video I’ve always had much respect for Don. Thanks for posting this Dish.
    Just curious how old you guys think this buck is? The pics from today. He was in my plot at 7:33am (times an hour off on camera) He would’ve gotten a pass from me had I been hunting there but I was hunting a stand about 100-125 yds south of the plot and I think I caught a glimpse of him slipping up the ridge to my west. I believe he’s a 2.5 year old what do you think?
    210DA2C8-CA71-4C72-B5C4-ACB7EE00DB93.jpeg 1B9063CA-564C-49B5-8020-260E2F3C0078.jpeg

8. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams

One thing about living there - deer get used to you. I would guess they don't run if you're on a riding mower etc?

2.5 is my guess. Nice buck.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  9. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

I understand that Snipe and here’s, my opinion, as to why a OBR works, it works because you have to be very selective on what you’re willing to shoot and that’s it in a nut shell. October rolls around and you only have OBT in your pocket you see a “good/decent” buck, not a great buck...do you shoot? I don’t, at least not since Indiana went to the OBR rule. So what happens is you have a greater number of good bucks getting passes and more of them are able to slip through the cracks and up to their next age class. If you ever hunted a full season under an OBR I guarantee most of the hunters, here in this thread, would be way more selective on what they shot and when. Who wants to be done buck hunting October 10th? I don’t and there’s many times I wish I had an extra buck tag but I don’t so I’m forced to play by the rules and I make my decisions accordingly and sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. And another thing is, it doesn’t restrict anybody from shooting any one buck that they would like to take. Shoot a fork horn that’s fine you’re just done buck hunting. I’ve lived under this rule now for 15 years or more and I absolutely love it and I hope Indiana never goes back to 2 bucks. Just my opinion nothing more.

10. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I'd guess 3.5, he probably has lost 30-50 lbs during the rut

RedM2 and vsmorgantown like this.
  11. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Kind of used to you. They definitely know your scent because they smell it everyday so in that respect I agree. However, it’s been my experience, big mature bucks never get used to you, or at least not me. Does, fawns and small bucks are very tolerant but the big bucks get bumped out of my beans by me walking out and spooking them out of the fields and I won’t see them again in daylight, i’ve seen it happen several times. You may get away with bumping them once but that’s usually it, at least for me.
    Good guess on age Grizz, at least I think, because that’s just my non scientific opinion as well.

12. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

3.5 IMO

vsmorgantown likes this.
  13. Dish7

Dish7

This point has merit...for some. IMO, most hunters who are selective will be selective OBR or not. Most who shoot a buck, then claim to now be hunting for a wallhanger are not probably real selective to start with and will probably not have much restraint when buck number one steps out. Now, if they are able to get a wallhanger or settle for something less with the second tag, that just brings us back to the 4%.

sniper and vsmorgantown like this.
  14. RedM2

RedM2 Premium Member

I'm guilty of what you speculate most won't do. Like another poster in this thread, I shot a buck I'd have passed on had i only had 1 tag to fill. That second buck tag allowed me to put meat in the freezer and continue hunting for a wall hanger.

On Target, vsmorgantown and Dish7 like this.
  15. Groundsize

Groundsize

Illinois has a two buck limit for a non resident..... There is a reason why it is beneficial for a non resident to buy land in Illinois