220 Inch Whitetail Don Higgins

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dish7, Nov 26, 2020.

1. sniper

sniper

I think Don Higgins is a great steward and deer hunter. I’ve been reading his stuff for over 20 years and learned a lot from him. One thing I do disagree with Don is his belief that mature bucks have a small home range and do not travel far. That theory just on my own accords has been disbanded on many accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

2. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

0% on B1G1's around me

But in all seriousness they lay waste around us. A couple 2.5 squeak through each year so that's what we target the following season. Pretty much every one is around that 130 caliber. We never see any B1G1's

3. Dish7

Dish7

A couple of things here. Without going back and watching the video again, did he mention how small? Also what he considers mature? I remember Bill Winke saying the same thing. Smaller home range around 4.5 and then surprisingly way more daylight active from 5+. Winke is more of an outlier being he was on 1000 acres.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  4. Radar420

Radar420

I had a local once ask me if I got a spike for meat yet so I can hold out for a big 8. Not many big 8s around if you've got guys shooting spikes for meat (at least in this area.)

The crazy part of the whole convo is the guy that asked me is this guy o_O (sorry for the slight derail D)

5. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I wonder if his assessment of mature buck range is rooted in what he described in the article you linked to, where he talked about preferring to have the best habitat in an area where surrounding properties aren't comparable in terms of habitat and hunting pressure.

Maybe it's a scenario where in the right circumstance a land owner can create a desirable enough scenario that a buck would "choose" to minimize its range. If that's the case, his theory on mature buck range might be influenced by his experience which is unique compared to the norm.

6. RedM2

RedM2 Premium Member

The second part of my post provides a little more perspective to address what you're highlighting... hunters will think twice about shooting the first buck that walks by if they only have 1 tag for antlers.

7. Dish7

Dish7

Could be. I don't believe there are hard fast rules as what would determine a bucks home range. A lot of variables (habitat probably an obvious #1) along with each individual buck's personality traits.
    Or, was Don really referring to core area?

vsmorgantown and Goinpostal83 like this.
  8. RedM2

RedM2 Premium Member

For the states that do allow a second tag, I think it's relevant to consider the number of hunters in those states as well as land tract size. Michigan has a high number of deer hunters as well as a high number of small land tracts. I believe those things have a much larger impact on Michigan's quality of deer hunting than many people realize. A one buck rule could help combat those factors, imo.

9. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

His assertion is mature bucks don't expand their range during the rut:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DEBU...PENING+IN+THE+DEER+WOODS--AND+...-a0513195314

Dish7 likes this.
  10. Dish7

Dish7

True. Those states also draw nonresident hunters from over the country in numbers that I'm pretty sure MI does not. Probably not an equalizer, but a factor. IMO, the biggest factor has always been how the seasons are laid out. MI is heading toward just one season apparently.

11. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

It doesn't really have much to do with shooting the second buck. In my case, having only 1 tag would mean that I would have only shot 2 bucks in the last 5 years instead of 7. It comes down to what are you willing to end your season on and honestly, it has been 2 bucks in the last 5 years. With a single tag I also wouldn't travel to hunt when I have a target buck on the home property.

jeffm and RedM2 like this.
  12. RedM2

RedM2 Premium Member

Good points. Your comment about Michigan seemingly moving towards 1 season has gave me pause about buying a piece of ground.

Goinpostal83 likes this.
  13. jeffm

jeffm

:lol: So true

14. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

There isn't any whitetail state that has moved to one continuous any weapon season and there's no serious discussion of it occurring in Michigan. Ever since there was an early antlerless firearm season 15+ years ago and then crossbow inclusion 12 years ago some speculated that an any weapon season is probable but it's just internet chatter.

There's a desire amongst those managing the resource to continue for there to be an emphasis on pheasants, grouse, ducks, turkey, etc. as well as deer. Keeping regular firearm season in November accomplishes that.

In terms of possible questions related to land ownership worries about a continuous any weapon season wouldn't make my list of top 20 concerns.

15. On Target

On Target

Exactly this, has nothing to do with how many people shoot 2 bucks. The last 5 bucks I shot would still be walking if I had 1 tag. They were nice 2.5's that i felt very good about taking, and make nice euro mounts that I'm proud of. I would not have shot them though if it meant my season was over for chasing a giant.