22 Pellets for accuracy and lethality

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by Old Whaler, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

I just ordered a .22 air rifle to repel bird feeder boarders. Range will be short, +/- 10 yards. Ethical clean kills are important (though not illegal here, this may be, er... unpopular). There's 400+ yards of private, wooded property downrange from the feeder. I'm expecting about 850-900 fps with lead. I understand I will have a break in period and some sighting in, and that these rifles can be finicky about pellets. Seems like there's a million to choose from.

What pellets should I start with? What pellet is working well for you?

Thanks.

2. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission Premium Member

Mines a cross man .177 and it shoots hollow points the best. Anything pointed for some reason will result in total inaccuracy.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

When I’m shooting for absolute accuracy I use Meisterkugeln. .177 caliber will take out coon or ground hogs at 900fps with a properly placed shot.

4. mjh4

mjh4

.22 cal. RWS super hollow points are my favorite for accuracy and nock down power.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Old Whaler likes this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

6. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

JSB heavies are the most accurate in my m-rod. They might not fly worth beans in your gun. Pick up some local Crossman pellets and see if they will work for you. If not, pick up a multi-pack online and see what the gun likes. On that note, short range shots probably wont care what pellet you use.

7. thundrst

thundrst

H&N Crow Magnum 18.21 grain work best in my RWS (Diana now) springer.

Old Whaler likes this.
  8. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

I'll enjoy shooting paper and reactive targets with excess pellets so I don't mind dropping some cash on 4-5 kinds to begin with. I'm just hoping to narrow the field for my first round of testing. Thanks for helping me shorten the list.

9. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Tried 6 or 8 different kinds of pellets in my son's 22 PCP Gamo and Crossman hollow points were the best by far. We set an empty pop can at 50 yards a while back and we were hitting it every shot using a firewood pile as a rest.

2nd best were Crossman "Devastator". Tried some heavy pellets from H&N and they didn't group well at all.

Most pellets we tried had a different point of impact so you can't use them interchangeably without doping the scope.

The biggest improvement in accuracy and consistency was installing a good scope. The junk scope that came with the Gamo was never installed and went right in the garbage. Had a fixed power Swift on it for a while and that did alright but the adjustments were ALL over the place. Ended up rediscovering a new 2-7x32 Nikon I forgot I had and it has been like a laser beam ever since.

capper and Old Whaler like this.
  10. thundrst

thundrst

One word of caution while evaluating different pellets. Definitely DISREGARD THE FIRST 3-5 PELLETS AFTER SWITCHING FROM ONE PELLET TO ANOTHER. I have repeatedly found that these first few pellets are NOT representative of the groups you will get after the barrel is "re-leaded" with the new pellets. It may not matter if you are just switching from one Crosman pellet to another, but if switching brands of pellets it will.

11. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

My very old Benjamin pump up likes crossman hollow points. It is good to about 30 yards on a good day. The gun works good but the old shooter not somuch.

capper, Old Whaler and sureshot006 like this.
  12. paradise

paradise

In .22 I use JSB Exact Jumbo Diablo (15.89 gr) and H&N Baracuda Power (21.14 gr). The Baracuda is heavier and the point of impact differs. But both are very accurate. The JSB are for an RWS 350 Diana Magnum and the heavier Baracuda in a Webley Scott Patriot.

capper and Old Whaler like this.
  13. Wolverick

Wolverick

Your gun will choose your pellet after it`s broken in. Some are not pellet and some are, it depends on the gun. The Crosman hollow points work in most of my air rifles and are the cheapest in my experience. JSB are high quality and shoot best in a couple.

Do you mind sharing what it is you bought?

Old Whaler likes this.
  14. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

Benjamin (Crosman) Vaporizer:

https://www.crosman.com/vaporizer-22

It's OK. Nothing special, but it will do all I will ever ask of it. It was a good buy at a sale price and using some Cabela's points. I have shot it now 23 times, mostly into a sand pile 20' away from my deck. When I stuck a Shoot-N-See target on a cardboard box, I got a 1/2" group at 20', which is bird feeder distance. (14.3 gr Benjamin Discovery lead HP).
    I'm happy with how it cocks, loads, and shoots so far, but the 2 stage trigger is gritty (improving since first shots) and it's louder than I thought it would be.
    Been too busy lately, but I'm going to look into either some trigger surgery or an aftermarket when I can. Then I'll start shooting for scores & pellet selection.

Thanks for all the replies.

capper likes this.
  15. Martian

Martian

this is interesting tome, yesterday I tried sighting in my .22 Benjamin, would get it close, then get a shot 4 in. low and 3 in right at 20 yds. I finally gave up. These are premier by crossman, and I have another can, that I have not shot yet " PCP" by benjamin