2021 steelhead stocking or lack of

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by nighttime, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:29 PM.

1. nighttime

nighttime

Now this is something on my mind, 2020’s void of steelhead stocking will hit some systems harder than others. Although temporary and one year is there another option to stock different species in replacement. I’d think northeast should be given some options in the lack of next years stocking or lack of. Not that nrc would put any interest in southeast but man I’m sure dnr has some coho from the west they could move around. Seen that Lake Michigan side is using extra Chinook. Browns would be sweet but you know that’s not happening. Thoughts????

Bob Hunter likes this.
  2. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Browns would be awesome. Seeforellons please! But yeah, not happening. Cohos would be great too, as they offer pier opportunities as juveniles in the spring and spawners in the fall.

3. Stand By

Stand By

Too short notice, I believe. Nothing extra is going to be done with the lock down anyway. Can only hope with a cooler summer, high water levels this past year and maybe a mild winter, maybe the odds for any natural reproduction in questionable areas will have been favorable enough to actually make a dent.

4. nighttime

nighttime

To late for little man steelhead but not coho for single season. Or skamania.... I’m sure they’ll send em over to Lake Michigan tribs
    4035ADCB-33AD-4317-AEAF-2D4D93ADD735.png

5. psycodad

psycodad

Well that’s bad but thanks for sharing. I had not heard about this. Unfortunately the year of the low runs will be the first full year I am retired :(

6. Erik

Erik

Well probably not going to be popular for my opinion, but I hope they don't stock more Salmon.
    And most definitely dont want any more lake trout!

I'd be happy with more Skamanias. Browns would be cool too.

7. nighttime

nighttime

I doubt Indiana is going to ship over enough to meet little man stocks but something is better than zero. My fear is the highlight will be just Lake Michigan tribs and east will be over looked.

8. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Being retired means we can check out more streams for trout of every kind.