2020 Pull over limit. *no winch *first time shi

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by AaronJohn, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

With a dog bump up to a canoe. ;)

Shiawassee is always an adventure. Lol

DM90 likes this.
  2. Po'Boy

Po'Boy

There are a million things that can make you smack your forehead in that swamp. I was about 400 yards from the launch when my boat motor quit last week. After about a 100 yards of walking the boat back toward the launch through the flooded timber I finally noticed the kill switch cord hanging from my wrist.

Urriah, TK81, DM90 and 2 others like this.

3. ajkulish

ajkulish

Craig we are probably who you are talking about, we took 10 and the guy in 8 did point us in the right direction. Saw some things on the map that looked like dikes, we were incorrect lol. But like Aaron said, at least we buckled down and got out of everyones way with time before shooting light. We somehow managed to even get our dekes set in time, not that anything came by early.... Normally we would have hunted the PM so we could navigate in the light, but tough to do that this year.

Oh well, we learned a lot about the area. We shot ducks. We had fun. Got some exercise. I like to think we didn't piss anyone off too bad, but that depends on the hunter. Dude in 8 was nice. Dude at the launch who pointed us that way, not so sure lol.

4. craigrh13

craigrh13

Haha. That was my friend, Fred. He was hunting 6 or 7 and told me about a couple guys being lost. Next time just launch from Wahl rd. .5 mile boat ride and 1 dike pull.

DM90, ajkulish and Outdoor Gal like this.
  5. ajkulish

ajkulish

Yeah that sounds just a little more enjoyable! Haha. I'll just chalk it up to scouting 1-8 :)

DM90 and Shiawassee_Kid like this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Still betrer than chisel plow? AJ is a punishment magnet.

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  7. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

aj, if you need help with directions or how to get in somewhere, just shoot me a text or fb message. i'll save you some time and effort you laid down :)

ajkulish likes this.
  8. choc24/7

choc24/7

how do two people pull a 1500 lb boat??? there arent many more than 8 dikes on the entire grounds..

9. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

by removing 700 lbs of gear each time. do you need video proof or can we just go with the story lol

and some serious power lifting.....

8 sets of deadlifts and farmers walks. love it

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    ajkulish likes this.
  10. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

To be fair I was over confident. we both know Harsens like the back of our hand so, "we got this!!!!" we drew well, not that that meant anything but we were both wired to hunt.

I now live on the other side of the state so we have to get creative.

there will be a next time guaranteed

ajkulish and Shiawassee_Kid like this.
  11. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

:idea: Shiawassee should consider installing mechanical winches on all the dikes with permanent rollers with opening for vehicles drive through. It is just so easy to do. Not everybody can afford $3000 Lewis winch for $1500 boat. Kayak is not a good way to go because of long distance for some of the zones. Also, need to update the map showing launch and pull over for each area. Current map is confusing.

DM90 likes this.
  12. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Best thing to do is make a day out of it in off season and mark with GPS ..Not hard at all ..did it last year and have everything in hand to go anywhere out there..Not as hard as one thinks when you prepare for what your up against. Just have to put in time and get it done..

meganddeg, Shiawassee_Kid and DM90 like this.
  13. craigrh13

craigrh13

Do you want someone to shoot your ducks for you? You seem to want a lot of things given to you.

I see nothing about the map that’s confusing. Match irbil with satellite images as well and it’s pretty straight forward.

You can get a winch/saw combo for $800.

ajkulish likes this.
  14. ajkulish

ajkulish

Wow, this is a tough one. I thought the chisel plow hunt would surely be the end of my ankles, but I thought the 8 dike hunt would surely be the end of my back. At least I didnt have to do the chisel plow field in neoprenes.....

Thanks for the offer kid! I will shoot you a PM with my #

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  15. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

C'mon you practically live there an know your private hunt club. Seems like couple of areas shown below should be accessed as shown but map does not clearly show that. Can you send some info for $800 winch, I need one. thanks

upload_2020-11-6_9-31-53.png