2020 Lake Erie Survey by Ohio DNR

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by scubajay, Sep 18, 2020.

1. scubajay

scubajay

2020 walleye hatch is even bigger than last year; perch excellent too

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020...igger-than-last-year-perch-excellent-too.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The 2020 walleye and yellow perch hatches in the western basin of Lake Erie this year are both above average, continuing an exceptional fishing era, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

The 2020 August walleye hatch index was 48 per hectare, the eighth highest on record. That’s 1 fish per hectacre more than last year and well above the 20-year average of 32.

“This year’s hatch combined with the exceptional 2015, 2018, and 2019 year-classes ensures an abundance of young walleye will complement the older and larger fish that make up the current Lake Erie walleye population, which is projected to hit a historic high in 2021,” said Travis Hartman, ODNR’s Division of Wildlife’s Lake Erie fisheries program administrator.

During the survey in August, ODNR recorded its highest catch of 1-year-old walleye ever, nearly double the previous high from 2015. Walleye from the 1-year-old 2019 class are generally 7-12 inches long, and most will hit the harvestable size of 15 inches next year.

The August survey found the 2020 yellow perch hatch index was 536 per hectare, well above the 20-year average of 326 per hectare. It ranks sixth in the 34-year survey.

2. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

Sounds like the great walleye fishing will continue.Hopeful signs for perch also.Got to love our fishery.

3. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

O-H-I-O!!!! Can’t believe I just wrote that. Their data seems to reflect what we’ve seen on my boat. Travis Hartman doesn’t deal with the second guessing that DNR folks do in Michigan. He provides data and it is real and he has history to prove his point.

kisherfisher and droptine88 like this.
  4. Same info that the Michigan DNR put out. All good

5. Fishndude

Fishndude

So, here is the deal. We Anglers need to get out there and harvest as many Walleyes as we are legally allowed. Otherwise they'll eat themselves out of house, and home. Already planning my late fall, and spring assaults. Walleyes must DIE; and then be beer-battered, and fried in peanut oil. :lol:

6. Jiggin Jay

Jiggin Jay

Yum, even more walleye filled with PFA’s, pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals, so on and so on

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

So, you fish for Walleyes for the fight, Jiggin Jay? If so, I'd like to introduce you to some Steelhead. :lol:

Bubbalouie likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I always look forward to Ohio's report but the one that really matters is the final that is combined with Ontario.

Just going by memory, it seems perch hatches have been better than average for a while now. Where are they?

9. marty59

marty59

In the Canadian comercial fisherman nets!

Marty

etech61, kisherfisher and terrylee86 like this.
  10. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Like always

marty59 likes this.
  11. Bruce William

Bruce William

Good news thanks for the post.