2020 Grand River Fish Ladder Updates

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by wilsonm, Mar 2, 2020.

1. MickL

MickL

Does potted out mean spawned out? If so, it sounds to me that these hens spawned below Webber and then continued swimming upstream and will die somewhere above the dam.... comes as a surprise to me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Hollowaychamps and slowpaya like this.
  2. wilsonm

wilsonm

still full of eggs

Hollowaychamps, slowpaya and MickL like this.

3. MickL

MickL

ok, good, now i understand

slowpaya likes this.
  4. Hollowaychamps

Hollowaychamps

Grands been good to me and a buddy this year. Cohos still hanging in there & snapping but not much fight left in them. Yet to boat a Steelhead. One King. Hope to see some Steely move up soon. Thank you for your ladder reports & work! IMG_20201013_173336_01.jpeg 20201004_144909.jpeg 20200925_091650.jpeg 20200925_154205.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

slowpaya, TK81, fishinfever and 2 others like this.
  5. wilsonm

wilsonm

That's great to see. The whole reason I started doing these ladder reports a few years back was because we were seeing lots of coho's upstream in the ladders at times, but hardly anyone was fishing for them during the week. I remember seeing about 150 coho in Webber ladder and not one person fishing there one day. Same for the Joe at Berrien Springs. Often times lot's of coho steelhead or both going through and it's a ghost town. What we saw a 6th street a couple days ago was encouraging as far as steelhead go

6. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

You need to PM a select few of us that have kids and jobs, Mike.:D

I am almost always a day late and a dollar short for the cojos. They just don't stick around long enough for me to make a plan, and I'd rather be a ways downstream of the circus.

I stopped by and looked in one of my local spots one day about three weeks back and they were "stacked like cordwood". I stopped back three days later and they were pretty much gone. Oh well, snooze and you lose.

7. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

out for a few hours,1 king,lots of fish around,then the wind and chop came up.

8. The Mediocre Fisherman

The Mediocre Fisherman

Been my plague for many years also.

My company used to do these team building exercise days every year in the fall, where we’d all meet at this place that hosted and specialized in that kinda thing. The place is located right on the boardwalk of a popular Grand trib. There I would sit, glancing out the window as much as I could throughout the day, seeing folks catching coho, excited for 5pm when I could go grab my gear. Sure enough, like clockwork, I’d finally get out there and not a fish in sight. Same day :(

Been many other times too where the family would go for walks along the trail on that river, and fishermen EVERYWHERE, fish on stringers. Come back that evening when I could... nothing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    slowpaya, wilsonm and TK81 like this.
  9. fisheater

fisheater

Hollowaychamps,
    I see you’re paddling. Just curious if you were spotting a vehicle, or paddling upriver either at the start or end of the day?

slowpaya likes this.