2020 garden thread

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by jimbo, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Fishndude

Fishndude

We had a light frost in SE Michigan overnight, but much of the State got hit with a hard frost. Our annual flowers are still fine, and I've got lots of peppers and tomatoes to ripen yet. My Basil is done for the year, though.

I canned 18 pints of superhot salsa last weekend, using Jalapeno and Hungarian Hot peppers for the base, and then adding either ghost, or trinidad scorpion peppers for heat. Some I used 1 heaping teaspoon of minced peppers, and some I used 2. :eek: I also threw some brown sugar on some of the jars, to see what a sweet/hot essence will be like. And, again, I didn't wear gloves when I minced roughly 4 cups of ghost, and scorpion peppers. My fingers quit burning by Tuesday night. :lol:

Kennybks, Radar420 and sureshot006 like this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Hope the superhot salsa is edible. A half pepper goes a LONG way!

Kennybks likes this.

3. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Might want to cover those peppers tonight. Supposed to get colder tonight then it looks good for at least a week. Wish I would have cover my peppers and short row of green beens.

4. sureshot006

"Crackuweather" was very wrong about last night. My thermometer said 34F this morning. AccuWeather's site says it got down to 46F. Tonight they forecast 45F low.

CHASINEYES likes this.
  5. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

I didn't catch the low this morning here in Attica, but we ended up with a hard killing frost. Clears skys, gonna be another one tonight.

6. sureshot006

I put the tent up in the back yard and my son and I slept out there. He's gonna be 4 in Nov. He slept like a rock. I was pretty cold lol. I was banking on 45!

Kennybks likes this.
  7. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

You must live close to my dad. (Lk. george and Newark) He said he had frost but doesn't know the temp. I wonder if his tomatoes got hit. They are out in the middle of a circle driveway.

8. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

Barn said 31.8 here in Sanilac this am. Was frost covered for sure. Wife went out awhile ago and picked everything that looked ok...even green tomatoes...thinking maybe fry them up soon. Another frost freeze advisory tonight.

CHASINEYES likes this.
  9. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

A few miles NE of there. Its possible that he got by if they are close to buildings and he lives kn a high point. My wife had potted flowers close to the house that made it through.

10. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

My last years sleeping in a tent was accompanied by a heater. Lol

sureshot006 likes this.
  11. sureshot006

Looks like some of my zucchini leaves took a hit last night but otherwise okay. Tonight might be worse.

12. sureshot006

Turning the fermentations into sauces. pH isn't quite as low as I thought it might get but vinegar will take care of it.

I didnt get the citrus type odors that I got last couple years. Probably the result of not adding super hots, and using more mild cayenne. The large cayenne are nothing like the normal variety.

Didn't have any lids so between now and bottling this will have to do.

20200920_145256.jpg 20200920_131203.jpg 20200920_131352.jpg

Kennybks, Mike and Radar420 like this.
  13. Mike

Mike

The frost last weekend took my garden out. Pulled most of the plants last night. Should be able to salvage some peppers, have one bed of carrots left, might even get a few more raspberries...

BF7243BB-69F3-4E59-89B4-D02289D21F58.jpeg

Radar420, kroppe and Team Camo like this.
  14. Fishndude

Fishndude

You can just leave Carrots in the ground. My wife's Grandfather was a Farmer, and he could dig Carrots in February, during a warm spell, when part of his Carrot patch would thaw. He also grew monster Carrots, which sometimes weighed 3#.

15. sureshot006

Pretty sure the "tail" on a pepper is a warning, like the rattle on a rattlesnake.

20200926_184550.jpg

Mike likes this.