2020 fall salmon

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by longline69, Jul 22, 2020.

1. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

i don't think they need to close the rivers, howard tanner did a good thing by putting salmon in the great lakes they did the job of reducing the over abundance of alewifes in the 60's, but those days r gone, more river friendly fish ( good biters ) n not fish that rot away in the river

slowpaya and lostabigone like this.
  2. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Sadly, they had the special permits

3. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Well, kings are over for me now, so here’s my contribution. Overall, a down year for me. Caught several coho, which I had zero issue with. They fought well too! Crowds were more than I’m used to, but whatever on that.

I never had any banner days, 10 hookups was my best day. I got fish on both the west and East side. Skein ruled on Lake Michigan fish, while spawn bags dominated for Lake Huron salmon. I caught the lowest amount of hen kings I’ve ever had, two. I kept exactly two chinook and two coho total for the season. A normal trip was 3-5 biters, on both sides of the state.

4. bansheejoel

bansheejoel

What are special permits?

C~DUB likes this.
  5. C~DUB

C~DUB

I've never heard of special permits either.

6. riverman

riverman

To do business on a stream regulated by the us forest service you need what is called a special use permit. The limited number of those permits are now in private hands and obtaining one can require a little coin. Car spotters are also required to have a permit on those stream, although I believe that is a little too much regulation. The guides are required to fill out some paperwork every year like number of days fishing, etc. Those permits do not give a holder any special privileges, in fact, the opposite. You feel a holder is disrespecting you, take a picture of the orange tag hanging on the side of the boat and contact the forest service and voice your complaint. Now the way a guide is fishing is a dnr enforcement matter, not the forest service

Sparky23 likes this.
  7. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Was just typing this Riverman. I believe they are needed for the stretch from m37 down to Indian Bridge if I'm not mistaken. This is also why you see those boat launches down river such a zoo because anyone can guide those stretches.

I should have taken a picture, but did not realize this until after I spoke with someone.

8. riverman

riverman

You are right to a point. In the upper river anyone can guide if they only use Mac, Lac and Wahalla to launch and retrieve, state and private launch’s, AND do not step out of the water on forest service land. The permit holders pay for the use of those usfs launches every year.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. BMARKS

BMARKS

pm has too many regulations and not enought fish. i suggest staying away. ;)

jmaddog8807 likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman

The lower river, reek road down use to be lonesome other than hardcore pluggers and some locals years ago. A certain Muskegon guide pimped it to hell when bobber/skein came on the scene and it is a total zoo now, both spring and fall. Sadly “plug runs trimming “ doesn’t happen anymore.

In defense the sand load and dead ash have played a big role,

11. BMARKS

BMARKS

agreed about the sand and dead ash, i hadnt been down that way in a long time and decided to give it a go last winter. just a complete mess and everything was mostly filled in with sand.

12. eagle eyes

eagle eyes

We did very good for a 8 hour trip on the PM in Custer,

13. Ojh

Ojh

We had a decent year fishing the Manistee, fish were few and hard to get them to bite on anything. I boated one 40" king with a spinner bait, most caught were on plugs of some sort, only 2 fish were caught on spawn.
    It seemed there were more steelhead in the waters, like they were earlier in numbers than normal or I was more aware of them because the salmon count was low. I managed to spend a little time (I was trying to fill the canner and needed 2 more salmon) steelhead fishing and missed a couple. Maybe a trip up in November?
    Anyway, a day on the Manistee is special, I feel blessed I was able to spend a couple weeks on it with all the great people to share it with.
    Regards to all, Oj

TK81, Aidan Zubak, jashroomer and 2 others like this.
  14. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

DON'T NAME UNMENTIONABLES .jpg

Yo Zach! if you don't see a river named in the heading, then DON'T MENTION IT.

That's the policy around here.

Any river that isn't listed is known as an UNMENTIONABLE river.

Your cooperation in the future is appreciated.

Thanks

SteelieArm14 likes this.
  15. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

Bhad Cetts