2020 fall salmon

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by longline69, Jul 22, 2020.

1. westsidepolack

westsidepolack

I went 2 for 3 on Monday. I put in a shift in that river and it really didn't pay off until the end when i got 2. I snagged one so i took a couple pics and threw it back. Then 15 minutes later got a nice hen Chinook. I missed a smaller coho earlier in the day swinging cleos. Now i got some skein to try out. I have never really had much luck with it yet but i think trying new cures and persistence is key.

jashroomer likes this.
  2. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

id be using those eggs for what's to come very soon.

The Spartan likes this.

3. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Something like these...eh? 20200909_192429.jpg

4. Ojh

Ojh

Leave 1 or 2 in there for us, we'll be heading on up tomorrow morning, 750 miles, a stop at cabalas and we used to hit Tonys' for a BaconAtor but not this year, other than that its a straight thru drive. I'll be in my little green Jon boat fishin the Manistee between Rainbow Bend and Bear Creek from Sat until Oct 4th, if you're on the river stop and say 'Hay!' and show me your fish. I'm not much good at catchin but have the tryin part down.
    I think this is my 35th year of fishin those waters.
    Oj

nichola8, Dagen, Stubee and 9 others like this.
  5. jashroomer

jashroomer

Good luck, fish on.

Ojh likes this.
  6. westsidepolack

westsidepolack

I'll be up there throwing skein under a bobber on Saturday on a different river after some scouting for deer season. I gave some spawn to a friend because he prefers to tie up sacks. Good luck to everyone.

jashroomer and Ojh like this.
  7. IT.Fisherman

IT.Fisherman

Going up for the day again Saturday. Going to try Manistee area for the first time, fishing from shore. Have some skein, also will throw some thundersticks and spinners. Fishing from shore so unsure how productive it will be.

jashroomer likes this.
  8. Macs13

Macs13

There are a few fish up there, lol. That was last night's take home from Tippy. Released a couple and lost a couple as well. That coho was a fighting monster. Even after I landed him, I grabbed him by the bottom jaw with my fish grippers and he shook so hard that he split his bottom jaw in half.

7 hours on the road for 2 hours in the water. It's a sickness. 20200917_014511.jpeg 20200917_015703.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. dinoday

dinoday

I've been fishing for a week all over the Big M and haven't seen much success from anyone except night fishing.
    Since last Friday I've hooked 12 and landed 1 using everything in the box..my best day was 0-3, the 1 was a smaller male this morning and it was the only hit I had.
    I watched guides every morning getting skunked.
    I'm going out in the morning for one more try before heading home.

1302berkey and JasonSlayer like this.
  10. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

There’s a reason the majority are having “success” and fishing at night. Don’t let it bother ya Dino, keep fishing for biters. You’ll have your day my man.

jmaddog8807, mdj, sportsman98 and 4 others like this.
  11. crystalflash

crystalflash

Aggred trust me the fish aren’t going from lock jawed during day light and then getting aggresive after sun down. Discouraging I’m sure, but you will prevail. Stay on target. It will happen. Don’t give up 5 minutes before its your turn.

dinoday likes this.
  12. JasonSlayer

JasonSlayer

Thanks for an honest report. I hope you get your limit tomorrow morning.

dinoday likes this.
  13. Macs13

Macs13

Unless you're floating skein (and obviously assuming that you aren't snagging), your only option is to floss or get lucky and make one angry enough to hit a thunderstick or Rapala. I caught this steely during the daytime last weekend. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find nighttime fishing to be particularly more successful, catches per hour, than daytime (although the time that I personally have available is more often overnight). Just keep wetting the line and the fish will come, although it definitely seems like a lighter run with smaller fish than last year. 20200912_023351.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Scottygvsu, Ypsimax, dinoday and 2 others like this.
  14. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

try casting tonight. lake flip should be coming.

15. jashroomer

jashroomer

Well, left Indy and headed to try our luck, first time up hope to be able and post some pics.