2020 Deer Regulation Changes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by Luv2hunteup, Jul 17, 2020.

1. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Remember that when you can’t even find an antlerless deer to shoot...

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

spikekilla and Justin like this.
  2. Baybum

Baybum

I respect that. I use a crossbow and a compound. My wife takes the crossbow if she wants to hunt...back to everyone and their grandma...i take whichever depending..... Killed one with each last year. Killed a 9 point in november and it was 10 degrees out when i left my house. Probably would not have killed it with my compound, ive tried drawing it with 5 layers of clothes on. It wasnt pretty. Grabbed the crossbow that day with that in mind.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

tnt1960 likes this.

3. Baybum

Baybum

I was gonna edit but decided to elaborate. Im all for more participation and more people hunting. My grief is really insignificant as i really hope just more hunters spend more days in the field and the stupid nrc is right. We really all just have to come together with what we have in common. Hopefully with this rule change more people do get out. More rules do tend to segment and divide people tho...for instance i wont use any guns for hunting this year. For me thats not changing any beliefs, but what about anyone else that now has zero firearms with a job to do in their house. I have like 10 now i dont use except going to the range.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. Bob S

Bob S

[​IMG]

5. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Our DNR is lazy now and won't take the time or effort to properly estimate our deer herd like they used to .They have just taken huge areas where populations may be night and day difference from one part to another .Is doing away with DMUs altogether in our future someday ?

boomer_x7 likes this.
  6. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Crossbows have been around since the 4th century BC. Nothing new there, other than the wheels. Then again, the same can be said for bows with wheels, or rifle scopes, or rifling or, or, or.

mbrewer, motdean and Ford 800 like this.
  8. rhood

rhood

So if I am understanding this correctly?
    Purchase of the combo license entitles me to go out and shoot two antlerless deer (which I have no intention of doing) regardless of public or private land?
    No need for antlerless permit unless I want to shoot more than two?

brushbuster likes this.
  9. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Can I still put my restricted tag on the first button buck I shoot?

10. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

is the early and late anterless still private land only

11. Bob S

Bob S

Since a season under the new rules hasn't happened yet, more like imaginary math.

12. hmrx

hmrx

These controversial regs were passed , IMO, only due to the virtual covid nrc meeting. If the commission and mdnr had to bump shoulders with the public and have real accountability after public comment at a normal meeting the outcome may have been different. They certainly new this. Unlimited combo license gun doe harvest on state land areas that have seen a small number of tags for years isn't great management. Where's the sound science to back up this up. I thought that's what the NRC was mandated to use in deciding. Must be once the DNR says it, it becomes sound science.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

boomer_x7, motdean and multibeard like this.
  13. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

No science involved just an attempt to reduce populations in high density areas by going nuclear on half of the state using no thought as to the aftermath .This will make the folks who like to thrill kill very happy like the guy who works in my wife's dept who bragged of 8 deer and doesn't even eat venison .Wife said she gave him an earful in front of co workers .

14. Justsayin

Justsayin

The initial regs were in development months before Covid. The development process included <some> stakeholders but with the lack of transparency in the DNR exactly who, wasn't disclosed however both MUCC & QDMA had representation. Several of the proposals came out of these groups. If I'm not mistaken, the any tag is a antlerless tag came from the Q-guys.

What's more, these are just phase I... we have another set of deer regs the DNR plans on springing later this fall. I would suspect some of those left for phase II were too dicey to pass now. Think about this, if the current regs were the easy ones... should be a total $$ hit show to come.

mbrewer and motdean like this.
  15. John Hine

John Hine

Sorry if this has been covered already but is bait a no go again this year?

Bucket-Back likes this.